• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing changes to desktop

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm brand new to Lightroom. I installed LR and uploaded many photos from my desktop and would prefer to edit them in LR, but none of the changes I make are reflected back on the photos I have in my desktop. This is important because I share photos with my daughter's school over One Drive. I don't mind uploading the photos to the cloud, but how do I sync back to my desktop? Or should I just throw in the towel and revert to LRC to keep everything on my desktop?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files you've retained on your desktop are not used as working files. The files that Lr Desktop accesses for editing are located in the Adobe cloud. If you require edited versions of the files on your desktop, then you'll need to export them from Lr Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR and LRC are "non-destructive" editors.  The edits you make to an image file using LR or LRC are not visible in the original file.  LR keeps a list of all the edits you make to the image file in its database, and the edits are shown in LR but the original file is not modified (it's non-destructuve).  If you want a file that includes all the edits you must "Export" the file.  When you export you make a new file that shows all the edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your responses.  This helps me understand the way Lr works.  
So to streamline, I could import all photos into Lr directly from my camera card, and then when I'm done editing all of them, I could export the entire folder to my desktop.  I'd prefer to have the finished product backed up on my desktop than the originals.  Let me know if you would suggest a differnet path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your preference is to have the entire folder of edited files on your desktop (or any other local disk), then I'd stick with Lr Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also share an album (collection in LrC) and allow download of the jpg.

That works with both solutions. The main point is if you'd like to have the originals local or in the cloud.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines