• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethered Shooting in Lightroom Classic 9.1 not working on Canon 5D Mk III.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded my OS from 10.14 to OS 10.15.2, and upgraded from the 2019 version of Lightroom Classic to the new LR Classic 9.1.  I have a Canon EOS 5d Mk II and 5d Mk III.  Both worked well with Tethered Catpure until these OS and LR upgrades, and now when I start Tethered Capture, it doesn't recognize the camera.  I checked connections, restarted and reconnected the camera, restarted the computer, deleted Lighroom Preferences, updated my camera firmware.  I tested my cameras on an old computer with OS 10.10 and Lighroom 6, and Tethered Capture still works great on that system.  

When my camera is connected, I am able to use the Lightroom Import window to navigate to the card in the camera and download images into lightroom.

Another puzzle piece, is I installed the October 2019 upgrade to EOS Utility, and it also is unable to recognize my cameras.  But Lightroom shouldn't require EOS Utility to operate the 5d Mk III, right?

I was on chat with Adobe tech support for 1-1/2 hours, and they weren't able to solve the problem. They suggested I contact Canon support for help.

Can anyone explain how I get Tethered Shooting to work?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

I believe the problem is the MacOS X 15.2 update. That breaks tethering, not only in Lightroom but -as you have noticed- also in EOS Utility. And if I'm not mistaken also in CaptureOne.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Catalina 10.15.3 fixed it for me on my Canon 5d mkiv and EOS R.  I can now tether with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Official release. I never download betas on the MacBook Pro I use for work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed it too and it seems to work!
But in photoshop, does it still create a copy of the file if you try to overwrite it !?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean? I export the RAW I'm working on, job done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple Macs so this isn't an issue. Plus losing income every day soon adds up to the price of a new Mac 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop question (updated):

- I have a hypothetical image called test.jpg

- I open test.jpg in photoshop, I edit it, I create levels etc etc ...

- I decide to always save it as a jpg, with the "save with name", always in the same position ... obviously I wonder if I want to overwrite and I say YES.

- Here: he does not overwrite it but creates a file called "test COPIA.jpg" !!!!

Theoretically it should overwrite ... instead it doesn't! Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try, in the save as window, uncheck "save as copy". It should save that preference for the future too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  Does anyone have any advice on tethering just not picking up the mark 4 with LR 9.1?  Im using captica OS on my mac.  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Which Mark 4 series camera from Canon are you trying to tether in Lightroom Classic 9.1.

Lightroom Classic supports both EOS 5D Mark IV & EOS 1D Mark IV. 

If you're one of these camera's and having trouble with tethering, please checkout this article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is catalina 10.15.2 problem.Everybody has a same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a 5D mark IV and while Lightroom Classic 9.1 "sees" the camera (in that i can access the SD card from lightroom and upload pictures), the moment I select "Start Tether", it spins for about 20-30 seconds and finally states that no Camera is detected. I've tried everything other forums have suggested (removing cards, disabling wifi/FTP etc), turning on/off computers/cameras. Is there any other workaround? As noted above is this a Catalina problem? Sigh.... just updated my macbook with Catalina as well! Can you tether wirelessly with the 5Dm4? I guess i can try...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known issue as mentioned in the tech note: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html
Right now, there is no workaround, other than trying from a machine with MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 or earlier.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem-tethered-lightroom-catalina-canon-dec...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Macbook pro suddenly stopped recognizing my Canon Mark IV camera when I use the Thether Capture option, if I connect it to my Windows PC if it recognizes it. My Mac does recognize the camera, but when I use Lightroom it does not recognize it, I wish I could help me I already lost a full day without getting anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a few posts that there is a problem with theater in LR and C1 after the update to Mac OS 15.2..

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Tried two laptops (MacBook Pro 2019 16" and 2014 15") both running the latest OS (Catalina 10.5.2), two cameras (Canon 1Dx and 5D IV), multiple cords, but nothing is working. It work last weekend and mid-week for a shoot, but not now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reverting to Catalina v 10.15.1 if it's possible.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having similar issues with a Nikon d500 since I upgraded my iMac to Catalina 10.15.2 when I try and import images, LR finds the camera however it says there are no images on either card, same also applies to the Nikon transfer 2 software.

I have been on a chat conversation with Apple and they just refered me to Nikon & Adobe, typical.

Never had any issues with version 10.15.1 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here even with Capture one, My Canon EOS Utility also will not recorgnize my EOS R. I believe the OS 15.2 broke something. Hope Adobe and Canon will work fast to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue - just shot last weekend with no problem and today went to fire up the Tether Capture and get the "no camera detected". I was able to import my photos after the fact with my cords but i can't shoot tethered. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue here – last week my Canon 5D IV was shoting tethered just fine, now it's dead, dead, dead. I've tried everything eight wasy to Sudnay, and still no luck. The Mac OS Console.app simply spews connections, disconnections, errors etc. concerning the issue. Somebody broke something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here. Tethered shooting with my 5D MKIV and MacBook Pro worked fine on Friday. Today, Monday, after updating to Catalina 10.15.2 now Lightroom Classic doesn't see my camera. Nothing has changed in terms of my setup. I can shoot to card and open Lightroom and see all the photos on my card and import them. But Lightroom Classic doesn't even recognize my camera in order to import photos from card. Adobe, please get a fix for this asap...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CaptureOne has addressed this issue. What's going on with Adobe? You can only blame Apple for so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this through a recent update? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines