• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering lightroom auto import dialog box problem

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite sure others have had this problem and hoping one of them found a good solution and can help me out. I have a sony camera and am trying to set up a tethering process in lightroom.

I have set up the auto import, made sure the box was checked, made sure the "open import dialog box when memory card is inserted" is unchecked and have disabled "autoplay" on windows to prevent windows prompting lightroom to import. Nevertheless, every photo I take, the import dialog box opens up and I have to "cancel" it away. The actual photo has appeared in the library module but having to click away the import dialog box every time defeats the purpose a bit. I am using the most up-to-date version of lightroom classic cc.

Any suggestions from those who have had this problem and solved it?

Brennan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my "Watched" Folder on my desktop making it always simple to drop photos onto this folder and they appear in the Lightroom "Destination" folder, without the Import dialog appearing (contrary to your experience). And it makes no difference if Lightroom is running, or not. If there are images in the "Watched" folder and I start Lr, they then just appear in the "Destination" folder of the Catalog.

To test Auti-Import- Have you tried just placing any image file in the "Watched" folder, using Finder/File Explorer?

If it works correctly this way, it should work with the Sony Tethering software. I assume you have set the Sony tether to place the photos in the "Watched" folder.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks WobertC, I tested dragging a random photo from file explorer into the watched folder, and this works without the import dialog box opening up. However, anything sent to the watched folder via the sony software triggers the import dialog box. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the files sent directly from the camera are raw files while the files dragged from file explorer are jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just tested and jpegs trigger the import dialog box as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue, although the 'Display preview with the selected program' is NOT ticked.

When the photo is transferred from Sony's Remote software and into Lightroom, it only opens (1 photo at any 1 time) into the "import" screen, it does not Auto Import into say the Develop screen, I have to manually select to import that 1 photo.

But once I select "Import" a dialog box appears to say "Cannot import as the file cannot be found"

Even though it is in the watched folder that is selected in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have Sony, neither have I seen the Sony tether software, but my experience with DigiCamControl (tethering software for Nikons) is to set the options to save the camera files directly to the "Watched" folder. If Autoplay has been disabled, then I cannot see why you are seeing the import dialog opening.

Maybe something helpful here-

https://briansmith.com/how-to-tether-sony-a7-a7r-a7s/

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Lightroom-Classic/Does-tethering-make-folders/m-p/10555686

Any other answers from Sony users that tether?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your input. Everything works fine with the tethering via the sony imaging edge software, the photo gets sent to the watched folder and imported, but the import dialog box opens up every time. Had an adobe technical helper on my computer for almost 2 hours last night with no success. Though he was not aware that the direct tethering process only works with canon and nikon cameras so we weren't off to a good start...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find the solution? I'm dying here, it's so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you able to figure this out. This is very frustrating thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify-

Lightroom-Classic can NOT Tether directly to a Sony Camera!- The Tether function is not available for Sony cameras.

The work-around method is-

1) Set up Auto-Import folders in the Lr-Classic. File>Auto Import>Import Settings...

2) Start the Sony software that will tether the camera.

3) Set the Sony software to 'Save' the camera files to the "Watched Folder" you defined in step#1.

4) Shoot.

The camera files should 'automatically' appear in a "Destination Folder" you defined in Step#1.

If you are also seeing the Lr-Classic Import dialog opening, as the OP was reporting, then something is wrong (or there is a bug in Lr). Report your problem at- Photoshop Lightroom Family 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this never got solved. I chose to exit Lightroom and am now with capture one. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was that the only reason to move to CO ? The below solution fixed the problem. In the Remote app - Uncheck the "Display Preview" with LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answer Jayanth! unchecking the display preview option its all we needed to do! thank you so much for your help! problem solved! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Remote app go to Settings and in the Preview tab make shure 'Display preview with the selected program' is not ticked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!!! YESSSSSS!! thanks!! Most of the video tutorials in youtube say you have to check this box! that is why most of us where struggling with this problem!! thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I too was experiencing the same frustration and your post got the job done!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

28th June 2020

Yes the unticking of the Settings, Preview, "Display preview with selected program" in Imaging Edge Remote stopped Lightroom import screen coming up and file came up in Develop screen ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines