• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering to Lightroom with Nikon Z6II

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Nikon Z6ii, when will tethering be available?
System: MacOS Big Sur (10.16.0), Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 of Jan, 11th, 2021)
The camera is not recognized. It also is not on the list of compatible cameras (as of Nov, 2020).

When will tethering be possible?

Tod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature will be added when/if Adobe decides to add it for that camera model. You will know when it is added when/if a new release has notes that announce that the feature has been added. Until that time it will be necessary for you to wait and see like anyone else because Adobe never announces future developments. That has been a long-standing policy for the company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this approach by Adobe a touch ignorant. A giant such as Nikon and something as big as a new mirrorless contender that is massive in the photography world, and we the customer just have to sit and wait??? No effective communication, no heres when it is likely to come out ??? No proactive planning ??? Just sit there and wait until Adobe says jump??? come on !!!!!!

Gives us a clue adobe !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening Darren, Adobe rely on camera manufacturers updating their SDK before tethering for new cameras can be supported. Tethering as well as raw file compatibility has always worked like this .. there is nothing different about the Z6II ... Adobe will update as soon as possible and under US law cannot preannounce features as they may influence stock prices, etc.

Really it is the role of a purchaser of equipment to temper their excitement by checking for compatibility with their current set up...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff

That all makes sense... and i appreciate the response - its nice to get something back...

That said its 2021 ... the era of joined up working and collaboration.... why does there have to be a lag... adobe and Nikon and grown up people... 

Heres a thought.... Adobe will always be there..... Nikon will continue to produce cameras.... 

....why not talk to each other BEFORE hand, so us the meager customers can just.....USE the products at time of purchase....

Bizarre i know....

Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darren Weston started “ A giant such as Nikon and something as big as a new mirrorless contender that is massive in the photography world, and we the customer just have to sit and wait???“

You purchased a camera from this giant, have they provided you with options to thether your camera and does that work?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is THEE WORST response ever by a "professional". Might as well have sais "you'll get it when you get it..." and leave it at that.

That feature will be added when/if Adobe decides to add it for that camera model. You will know when it is added when/if a new release has notes that announce that the feature has been added. Until that time it will be necessary for you to wait and see like anyone else...

By @JP Hess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is not always pretty, especially when it is not sugar-coated.

Like all other software companies, Adobe does not discuss release schedules nor feature updates with the general public prior to the actual release. We are all end users in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon added the z6ii and z7ii to their SDK just in December. I would expect Adobe to use the new Nikon SDK for the Feb-Mar update of Lightroom.

Keep in mind that all the camera makers see all the software makers as competitors, not partners, since the camera makers also make editing software. The camera makers do not give the software makers any advanced notice on what is coming nor give any early camera samples for software testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ...

Thats a valid point and i didnt think of that.... Whilst i knew nikon supplied a lead to connect i didnt think of them being protective over their own software .... thanks for reply... 

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So again with the US screwing us up over the possibility of influencing the stock market!? Who cares, that is part of the game in stocks is it not?! And just how much would it really push the stock anyway....it will bounce back to a steady mark. I really don't understand either why WE the buyer have to wait for a camera and the software we all use on a daily basis to work together. I understand its a bunch of politics but damn, shouldn't they be working side by side so when you sell a new item that its immediately being able to be used?! If not, you are threatened by those looking elsewhere at other software that might work and loose business! Its like buying a new toliet but its not compatible with the toliet paper. Sorry but just angered by the lack of initiative by companies that are large enough to actually do something about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as Nikon is concerned, Adobe is just another company. Adobe is not a partner with Nikon. If anything, and Adobe is a competitor. Nikon is not concerned whether or not their cameras work with Adobe software, tether with Adobe software, or anything else. Nikon provides their own software, and as far as Nikon is concerned they have provided everything that is necessary to process images from their cameras. That is the reality, I think, of the situation. And so everyone who wants to use Lightroom or Camera Raw or Photoshop or any of the other Adobe products with Nikon cameras naturally blame Adobe for not supporting the camera to their satisfaction when in fact it's Adobe that has to do all of the work without ANY cooperation from Nikon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't doubt it one bit that its more Nikon's fault! I ordered my z7ii and took about 2 months to get it and frustrated the whole time. So finally getting it and still not being able to use it to the fullest is somewhat agrivating to say the least. Thanks for your reply though! I wish there was something done in the future where maybe RAW, no matter what version....turns into some kind of standard where Adobe can actually update pretty fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe pioneered the DNG format, and offered it as an alternative format that camera manufacturers could offer to save images. A couple of camera makers offer it as an alternative to their proprietary raw format, but most mmanufacturers have chosen not to adopt it. If they would adopt it, it would greatly simplify things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. The Z6ii was previously not listed as a compatible camera for tethering (Supported cameras). Today, Adobe released the "March, 2021" release. At the top of the page, they listed the newly added cameras. The Z6ii is not there. If you scroll down to the list of supported Nikon cameras, the Z6ii is there. So, one of those is wrong. Having the Z6ii and today's Lightroom update (13.2) with all the other latest revisions, the Z6ii still can't tether. Maybe it's me. Has anyone else been able to tether the Z6ii with today's update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your link is not to tethering support for the Z 6ii. It is to whether or not the RAW format is recognized by Lightroom Classic. That support for the RAW format was provided in Lightroom Classic 10.1.

Tethering support for the Z 6ii was provided in version 10.2, and only for Mac computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Thank you for pointing that out. 

Great, the next question is: when will tethering for the Z6ii be supported on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When? I believe @JP Hess has already explained "when".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was more of a rhetorical question. While the answer to "when" is subjective to Adobe, other software vendors already support it. It's not like Adobe is waiting on Nikon for something (eg. for Nikon to release their SDK), Adobe is waiting on Adobe. I'm getting more and more frustrated - I waited about 6 weeks for LR to support Z6ii raw files. Now I'm waiting on them to support tethering. It might be time to look elsewhere for software that fits my workflow better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I suppose that is what you will have to do, find another software that better suits your needs. Making threats on this forum really accomplishes nothing. We are all just other users like yourself. It's not like any of us can run to the Adobe engineers and tell them that someone is threatening to leave if they don't hurry and meet their demands. There are a lot of other issues that I would like to see resolved, features that I would like to see added, things that would make it easier for me. Making threats, idle or otherwise, isn't going to do a lot of good. If you really need something, and LrC isn't producing what you need, then I suppose it's time for you to make a decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, the last thing I'm trying to do is create conflict and I really do appreciate you taking time to reply. I do disagree with your statement that making threats on this forum does nothing. It wasn't targeted at you or any other user here - I'm hoping Adobe monitors these threads and sees what their customers are saying. I'm hoping that someone (maybe a product manager) inside Adobe sees this and says "hey, we could be losing customers because we're not supporting what they want". I own an electronic health record software company. I've spent my career in developing highly complicated software for the healthcare industry. We're always looking to see what people are saying about us but it's probably wishful thinking Adobe is listening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Adobe does monitor this forum it rarely engages with customers through the forum. Therfore, if you really want to post your thoughts where they will be read by Adobe staff specifically tasked with adressing customer feedback, requests, etc then I recommend you visit https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now compatible, just update to the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated Lightroom to the newest version, but Lightroom still doesn't detect my Z6II when activating tethering. I've been working my way through Adobes own troubleshoot tethered capture page with no luck. I had no issues with tethering when I had my Z6...

Any one have any ideas as to why it's not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines