• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thanks for introducing LR11 in the middle of wedding season!!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pissed this morning, because with the newest LR11 update, my weddings are taking twice as long to edit with the new "masking" feature. I use 5-8 gradient filters for every image and now that has become complicated to do, because that button has become a pain to initiate and use for me.

On the landscape picture side of things, I love the new masking features, because it is helping me edit those pictures well! Unfortunately, those edits I can take my time with and weddings I can't.

I wish adobe would take in considertion the different types of genres of photography and allow for different tools to be available for different photographers. 

The fact that this new LR11 version was thrown on us at the peak of wedding season SUCKS! I am having to learn a whole new way of editing and I have way too many weddings to edit.

Sooooo...Adobe, please keep in mind the different people that use your platform and stop rolling out new versions in the middle of the busiest season for wedding photographers. 

And bring that the old Gradient filter for people who prefer it over the new "gradient within the masking feature that has so many more complicated options".

Thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>I am having to learn a whole new way of editing and I have way too many weddings to edit.

I can understand you're angry, but...

... if I worked as an professional on a project or an order I wouldn't change to a new version of the software I using for this. without any testing and I have time to ckeck and learn about changes and new function. 

In my mind it's uneconomical to develop and support different types of tools for the innumerable genres of photography and the personal preferences of all photographers. A firm must be tread a middle path in order to meet all requirements as far as possible.

>>The fact that this new LR11 version was thrown on us at the peak of wedding season SUCKS! 

When do you think the best time to post updates is? Every appointment is unsuitable for one or the other.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, Adobe automatically updates the software and I didn't know it could be turned off. 

And YES, they can make software that adhears to everyone, which is why it needs to be brought up, so that they are aware of the different needs of photographers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"because with the newest LR11 update, my weddings are taking twice as long to edit with the new "masking" feature"

While I do understand your frustration, you are not forced to use LrC 11.0 and reinstall LrC 10.4 if doing so saves you a lot of time. I definitely would if editing took me twice as long 😉

"Adobe, please keep in mind the different people that use your platform"

As you say yourself... keep in mind the different people who use Lightroom, i.e. those who are NOT wedding photographers. Personally, I couldn't care less about wedding season (I barely take any pics from my smartphone the rare times I even go to a wedding) and I guess it's always something-season somewhere for someone anyway, so by this logic Adobe should probably never make big changes to Lightroom.

The best thing you can do right now, besides maybe going back to LrC 10.4 if it allows you to work faster, is to offer a concrete suggestion in this Ideas section of this forum on how to improve the masking tool so it's more efficient. I doubt bringing back the old Gradient filter will ever happen, but masking could very well be improved upon.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator (kelmond.com)

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many professionals (doctors, attorneys, architects, etc.) take time out of their busy schedules to travel and attend conferences to learn about new technology and new techniques to enhance their professions. But as a wedding photographer, it seems that you expect Adobe or other software developers to innovate and improve without ever interrupting your workflow. Right? Amazing! Did you ever consider having an extra computer to install the new version on to learn and experiment with when/if you have a little extra time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! That's the answer!! Get another computer to install software on first!

What would I do without you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating multiple NEW masks of the Gradient then just use the interface to create the first Gradient and from then on just hit the N key.  It will create a new mask of the LAST used tool.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rule one in Info Tech for a business

Never upgrade software on work critical computers without testing

Fix: Roll back, yes you will loose some work

Rule 1 about software manufacturers concerns over timing of releases. They do not care about individual cases, Bad time for Wedding Photogs, oops, spring bad time for Pro Landscape, oops Summer bad time for , oops Fall bad time for, oops , oops, oops. Cannot win.

Rule 2 about Adobe specifically, the fairly much always release major upgrades when Adobe Max comes around, as in now.

Do you have Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop set to automatically install updates? Bad business decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is set to automatically install. I didn't realize there was a way to turn that off.

Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I followed that link and re-installed the older version. I appreciate you taking the time to send that. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The fact that this new LR11 version was thrown on us at the peak of wedding season SUCKS! I am having to learn a whole new way of editing and I have way too many weddings to edit." You must be in the southern hemisphere because it's not peak wedding season here in the north which leads to others observation, when is a good time to release and update.

My suggestion is to revert back to 10.4 till you have time to dive into 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines