Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The [.tif] files use an unsupported compression algorithm

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 13,000 images imported to Lightroom Classic 11.1

I have an additional 200 images that were not imported because of the error: The files use an unsupported compression algorithm. All the problem images are scanned from Slide or Print using an Epson V850 Pro.

I guess that I did something different, but I don't know what, because in a given folder I have a mix of .tif image files that cannot be imported, and others that can.

In one folder files that successfully imported are between 141Mb and 249Mb, and problem files are about 5Mb.

Photoshop 2022 and other programs have no problems opening the files.

This picture is an example of the files that don't import. https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7fa972a5-aa16-47b6-77c3-af8ef4f3ef6e 

Canhttps://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7fa972a5-aa16-47b6-77c3-af8ef4f3ef6eI am using Windows 10 Pro ver 21H2, 64GB memory, nVidia GeForce RTX 2070 with 8GB memory. As far as I can tell, hardware is not part of the problem.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this issue and how to fix it?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

I looked at the TIF tags in the picture and the Compression is listed as "JPEG Technote #2". I found the same as you; LrC 11 would not open it but Photoshop 2021 will. You can then save it and change the Compression from JPG to something else. I changed it to LZW and was able to load it into LrC.

Have a look at the V850 TIF compression options. It looks like it may be based in other options. https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39283/Source/Scanners/Source/Scanning_Software/Reference/easy_photo_scan_tiff_settings.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

I don't know what's causing the issue, but my guess is that you have chosen to save with compression in the Epson scanning software, and that something went wrong in the compression process. It seems that you saved the file with jpg compression, since that was already checked in the Tiff options dialog when I saved.

Saving a Tiff with jpg compression is kind of pointless, since jpg compression is lossy, while LZW compression is lossless.

If you want to compress Tiff files, use LZW for 8-bit and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the TIF tags in the picture and the Compression is listed as "JPEG Technote #2". I found the same as you; LrC 11 would not open it but Photoshop 2021 will. You can then save it and change the Compression from JPG to something else. I changed it to LZW and was able to load it into LrC.

Have a look at the V850 TIF compression options. It looks like it may be based in other options. https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39283/Source/Scanners/Source/Scanning_Software/Referen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's causing the issue, but my guess is that you have chosen to save with compression in the Epson scanning software, and that something went wrong in the compression process. It seems that you saved the file with jpg compression, since that was already checked in the Tiff options dialog when I saved.

Saving a Tiff with jpg compression is kind of pointless, since jpg compression is lossy, while LZW compression is lossless.

If you want to compress Tiff files, use LZW for 8-bit and ZIP for 16-bit. Both use lossless compression.

I opened your example file in Photoshop, and resaved without compression and with LZW compression.

In both cases, the file imported in Lightroom with no issues.

So the fix is to resave in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that what I said 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed. Cross posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both DS256 and Per Berntsen for 'the correct answer'.

Thanks Per for the extra advice on selecting compression algorithms.

I don't know why just these 200 images seem to have an unsuitable algorithm, but my next trick will be to re-save them all with ZIP compression since I believe all the images were at least 16bit.

Seems if I want to script conversion in Photoshop 8bit and LZH are the only options for TIFF files, unless someone knows better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome and I learned something since I'll be doing TIF scans on my Epson V500

"I don't know why just these 200 images seem to have an unsuitable algorithm" That's why I gave the link to the Epson TIF compression. Compression may be chosen based on scanning options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your welcome and I learned something since I'll be doing TIF scans on my Epson V500

"I don't know why just these 200 images seem to have an unsuitable algorithm" That's why I gave the link to the Epson TIF compression. Compression may be chosen based on scanning options.

By @DS256

Now that I have converted some of these images back to LZH, they have increased in size from for instance 5MB to 30MB (rough figures).

Now I remember why I chose the JPG compression option 😉

My source images were mostly 6x6cm and 35mm slides and uncompressed TIFF sizes seem to be the 149MB to 249MB sizes I mentionen in the original post.

I suggest before starting scanning, you check your disk storage space available. It gets eaten up quite quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines