• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferred image library to new drive and Lightroom not connecting catalog folders to new drive

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I transferred my image library onto a bigger hard drive and named it the exact same name as the smaller previous drive.  When I open a Lightroom catalog, instead of my "Image Library RAID" being the parent drive where all my image folders are located, it defaults to my Macintosh HD (where none of the image folders are located) so there's a little question mark next to every folder in the index on Lightroom.  I can go back and reconnect each individual folder so that it points to the correct image folder on my new Image Library RAID using "find missing folder", but I have hundreds of folders in 30 different catalogs, and this would take several days to reconnect each one.  So my questions are 1. why did Lightroom default to my Macintosh HD drive even though when you hover over the Macintosh HD icon in Lightroom, it shows the correct path to these images (/Volumes/Image Library RAID) and 2.  can I reconnect , re do the pather between the correct parent drive (Image Library RAID) EN MASSE/all at once or am I just screwed and have to use "find missing folder" for each damn individual folder one at a time

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows two 'Macintosh HD' disks, so it looks like you have this problem:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-displays-same-hard-drive-twice.html

What is strange however, is that the pop-up shows the correct disk name...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but the amount of time required to create "dummy" folders as suggested in this article would be as long or longer than just going to each folder in Lightroom and updating its location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to update the folder location, this done in LrC

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as I mentioned, I know how to update folder location.  The issue is that the entire catalog, with hundreds of folders, needs to be updated because Lightroom didn't recognize my new larger image library drive as connected, so it defaulted to the wrong drive.  looking for a way to jupdate location for hundreds of folders at once

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in Folders panel, work your way up to parent folder, once you see the parent folder, and update that, the child folders will be fixed as well.

If you have multiple drives, then multiple parent folders

Most users will place photos on one drive, they will have one parent folder, they may have lots and lots of folders under that., Mind you,they would be better served by using multiple collections but that is ones personal workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@marcp47975620 wrote:

No, as I mentioned, I know how to update folder location.  The issue is that the entire catalog, with hundreds of folders, needs to be updated because Lightroom didn't recognize my new larger image library drive as connected, so it defaulted to the wrong drive.  looking for a way to jupdate location for hundreds of folders at once

I assume you do not have that many folders at the root level of your drive. Right-click on one of the folders and choose 'Show Parent Folder'. Continue to do this until Lightroom shows you a single parent folder, or just a few parent folders.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but the amount of time required to create "dummy" folders as suggested in this article would be as long or longer than just going to each folder in Lightroom and updating its location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines