• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring from one catalogue to the next

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to import images into the catalogue on my laptop, process them then I export the folder as a catalogue. I would take that catalogue and import it into my main catalogue. It would automatically get put into the catalogue sorted by date etc. Now when I do it it gets put into the catalogue but it is named by the catalogue name from the first catalogue (the one on my laptop) then the year and then the day. I tried changing the catalogue name to the same name as the one in my main catalogue. Still it is happening.

Does anyone know if this is because of a recent update? Is there a way to get around this so it cooperates the way it did before. See pictures attachedScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 7.16.23 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 7.18.50 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 7.10.54 PM.jpg

Cmp=Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max Sonoma 14.0 Lightroom Classic 13.0 (13.01 didn't work for me when I installed it so I went back to 13.0)
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make sense of your question-

"...it gets put into the catalogue but it is named by the catalogue name from the first catalogue..."

Are you referring to Catalogs or Folders?

Can you explain your workflow, and does it follow something like this-

1) Select Folder of images in Laptop catalog.

2) [Export this folder as a Catalog] (Call it {Temp.LRCAT}

3) Open Master Catalog in Mac Desktop

4) [Import from another Catalog] - selecting the {Temp.LRCAT} to import.

It would be normal to then have to move folders or files to have them conform to the folder heirarchy in the desktop Mac.  (Files will not automatically copy to dated folders.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Sorry I tried to make it understandable but it is hard to explain it. I will try to explain it and reference the pictures:

I have the pictures in the folder in the first catalogue (laptop and not main catalogue) See first picture. It is sorted by the name of the catalogue (Lightroom Photos) then it is put in subfolder 2023 and then the next subfolder 2023-01-20. I would then select the 2023-01-20 subfolder and all the pictures in it and 'export as a catalogue' naming it say temp catalogue.

2. Next i would go into the main catalogue then click on 'import from another catalogue' which is the temp catalogue. I direct it to be put into the Main catalogue. Click it and let it do it's thing.

3. When finished it would normally have the 2023-01-20 put into the main catalogue and listed with all the other folders. But as you see in the 3rd picture it doesn't. It list the Catalogue name (in this case it happens to be the same name as the main catalogue name because I changed the name thinking maybe it wasn't doing it correctly was because the catalogue names were different. This was a wrong assumption) also the sub folder name 2023 and then 2023-01-20.

Previously I did this routine and the folder name according to date would get listed in chronological order in the main catalogue so in this case it would put it under the 2023 folder. It would have a whole new folder called Lightroom Photos (Picture 3)

I have been doing this for years my routine. But since the last update I have had troubles. I would then have to go into the 2nd Lightroom Picture folder and slide the 2023-01-20 up to where the subfolder 2023 is. It is okay if it is only one folder I have to slide up but yesterday I had many. (I was too busy to put the pictures from Dec 2022 and Jan 2023 to the main folder until yesterday.

I am hoping that is more understandable and you can help in some way. Thank you in advance.

If you can't understand maybe I can do a video.

Cmp=Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max Sonoma 14.0 Lightroom Classic 13.0 (13.01 didn't work for me when I installed it so I went back to 13.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let's clear up and understand that {Lightroom Photos} is a FOLDER (although it might have a name similar to your Catalog {Lightroom Photos.LRCAT}.

Now when you [Export as a Catalog]- the temporary transfer catalog (Give it a unique name! like "Temp") has with it the photo files in a complete Folder heirarchy, and that will be in this format-

2023-01-22 11_03_10-Transferring from one catalogue to the next - Adobe Support Community - 13508357.jpg

You can check this by opening the {Temp.LRCAT} catalog that will show the images in that heirarchy.

Next when you open your Master Catalog on the desktop and [Import from another catalog], the merge would be trying to mix the Temporary folder{Lightroom Photos} with the Master folder {Lightroom Photos} which it will not do (neither will it overwrite). So the imported catalog brings with it another separate heirarchy of {Lightroom Photos} folders, as you see it-

2023-01-22 11_03_57-Transferring from one catalogue to the next - Adobe Support Community - 13508357.jpg

YOU then have to drag & Drop photos, and folders, in the Master catalog Folder panel to have the imported photos in the location where you want.

So expand the added Master {Lightroom Photos} folder and Drag& Drop its sub-folders to an appropriate location that suits you.

Later you can [Remove] the now empty {Lightroom Photos} FOLDER that was from the {Temp.LRCAT} catalog.

ie. As in STAGE#4 in this article by the Lightroom Queen.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/merging-catalogs-overview/

Hope that all makes sense!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes this is what I have been doing but I didn't have to do that before. I was wondering if there was a work around. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you are more experienced at merging catalogs than I, and I am at a loss to make more suggestions other than trying different locations for the folder you [Choose] in the Catalog import-

2023-01-23 06_19_57-Clipboard.jpg

If something has changed in a LrC upgrade, I do not know what that might be. I havn't done enough 'merges' to understand fully the ramifications of the folder choices.

Keep bumping this thread and hopefully someone else may have answers.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does a person keep 'bumping' a post on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess, just keep posting in the thread, then it always jumps to page 1 of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines