Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring Lightroom Classic from PC to Mac

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

In trying to be clear, I've written a longish post - apologies in advance for that.

A lifelong PC user, I have at long last decided to enter the Mac environment. One of the first things I've tried to do is transfer all my Lightroom operations from my desktop PC to my new Mac Mini. N.B. I am not attempting to work on two computers: I want to work exclusively on the Mac. Apologies in advance for the obvious mess I've made of this transfer so far!

On the PC, I keep all my photos, and my Lightroom catalogue, in my DropBox folder, not in the default location selected by Lightroom. I would like to reproduce that structure on the Mac. Here's what I have done so far:

1. I have synced my photos to the Mac using DropBox.
  2. DropBox has also synced the Lightroom catalogue and its associated files.
  3. I've installed Lightroom Classic on the Mac.

Having done all this, I've opened Lightroom and tried to select the catalogue.

Result: At first I saw my photos, but without any of the edits I'd performed on them. That was yesterday. Today on opening Lightroom on the Mac, and no photos at all are visible.

I've no idea what I've done, and I don't know how to fix this!

I would be enormously grateful for any assistance, and apologise for the depth of my ignorance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Hi dj - Thank you very much. You may be able to see my reply to Per - I've started again from scratch, and am following your advice about following Lightroom to the letter. I appreciate your warnings about not deviating from her assiduously organised steps! All the best to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are probably missing, with question marks on the folders and exclamation marks on the thumbnails.

If, for example, the path to your images was D:\Dropbox\Photos on the PC, the Mac won't be able to find them, because Macs use a different disk naming system; there are no drive letters like on Windows.

If you have a top level folder that contains all the other folders, right click it in LrC, and choose Find missing folder. Navigate to that folder in the dialog that appears.

This should reconnect LrC with all the folders in the Folders panel.

If you don't have a top level folder, you may have to reconnect the folders one by one.

See also https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

and https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Per - much obliged for your kind help. Thank you! In the end I've gone back to the drawing board, uninstalling Lightroom and starting again from scratch, following Lightroomqueen's detailed instructions. Fingers crossed that all goes well from here. I'm very grateful for your assistance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the second link from @Per Berntsen doesn't work (it probably will, but if it doesn't) then I would recommend that @Nick261829238bjf start over, and follow the first link given by @Per Berntsen

specifically https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Follow each step exactly as written. Do not make up your own steps. Do not skip steps.

Repeating because this is vitally important:

Follow each step exactly as written. Do not make up your own steps. Do not skip steps.  Do not make up your own steps. Do not skip steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj - Thank you very much. You may be able to see my reply to Per - I've started again from scratch, and am following your advice about following Lightroom to the letter. I appreciate your warnings about not deviating from her assiduously organised steps! All the best to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Lightroomqueen", I meant. Apols for the typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines