• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring LR from old to new laptop

Participant ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do most of my LR and PS work on my desktop but when I travel I use my very old Lenovo laptop where I have LR 6 and my original PS 6 installed. I am looking to replace my laptop but am concerned that if I delete LR on my old laptop Adobe may not let me set up LR on my new laptop ( it has been a number of years in these two locations). Can someone give me detailed instructions as to how best to proceed? I have the same concerns for PS as well.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

@joseph motto  Everything I have commented on with your posts has not mentioned or suggested you "moving to the cloud versions".

If you are not aware- FYI Lightroom-Classic (the successor to you LR6) is not a "cloud version". It works entirely with local files and folders and does not need 'syncing of files' . It works exactly like your LR6.

Lightroom-Classic only requires the CC Desktop App to install and Activate the LrC app. (Photoshop and Lightroom-mobile, in the Photography Plan, are option

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

My apologies to start as I am technologically impaired. What may look clearcut to you in these instructions is confusing to me and I am reluctant to start anew when I suspect I am only a step or two from getting this done.

By @joseph motto

I missed seeing this message while I was on vacation. If one or more parts of the explanation are not clear to you, the next thing for you to do is ask specific questions here in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-6-end-of-support.html and then download the Lr 6 installer file. Save it in some place where you can find it if you need it again in many years. Do this immediately as this link won't work after some time next week.

Instructions on how to move Lr to a new computer: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to install LR 6 on my ne All in One HP.  I copied and transferred my most recent catalog backup as well but can't seem to get LR to incorporate it as all images that I bring up require importing; any suggestions appreciated although I do have two more knowlegable relatives coming over today and I will ask their assistance. I cannot so far been able to get photoshop CS 6 transferred as well but that's another story. Holiday headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but can't seem to get LR to incorporate it

I'm not sure what this means, nor am I sure what you did. Please describe both in detail.

The full set of instructions is at: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/ Please follow these instructions exactly as stated; do not skip any steps (unless it doesn't apply to you like moving from Windows to Mac); do not make up your own steps. Please note: there is no importing in this process. If you feel it is time to import, STOP and read the instructions again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies to start as I am technologically impaired. What may look clearcut to you in these instructions is confusing to me and I am reluctant to start anew when I suspect I am only a step or two from getting this done. I currently seem to have LR6 on the new computer and can bring up photos but they are all contain  check marks which means they are not recognized as already imported by LR. My 6.14 version of LR on my desktop computer has 400,000+ images and the version that I see on my new computer has 593 and reads LR mobile on top. I ran into this in the past and it seems that the synchronize process corrected the problem. I have already brought my latest backup (12-22-23) of my desktop catalog into the new computer but I suspect it is simply not located in the right place for LR to incorporate it. I will now display several images on my computer screens and perhaps you will be able to spot the error(s) and get me headed in the correct direction. I am sure this will be frustrating to you but the directions Queen sets forth are confusing to me. Here goes:

My desktop computerMy desktop computerMy new computerMy new computerMy new computerMy new computerMy new computerMy new computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may butt into this thread with some questions and comments.

Did you COPY the Catalog file to the new computer?

Did you COPY ALL your photo files to the new computer?

Did you [Double-click] the Catalog on the new computer to open it?

Does it show the same (400,000) photo previews as on the old computer?

~You show some Previews folders in screen-clips. These are NOT your photos and not relevant to your problems. Where are you photo files?

~You show an Import dialog.  There is NO IMPORTING needed to restore the copied catalog.

~There is NO SYNCHRONIZING of Folders needed to restore links to your photos.

Both these functions are the WRONG thing to do when Moving to another computer!

" can bring up photos but they are all contain check marks which means they are not recognized as already imported by LR."

And again- you should NOT be Importing!

You have most likely started another catalog- ie. Not the one you copied from the old computer, or you copied the wrong catalog from the old computer.

~Did your "latest backup (12-22-23)" when opened on the new computer show all your 400,000 photos ? This would be the catalog you re-link to the copied original photo files.

~[All Synced Photos] in the Catalog panel is information about any Cloud synchronization- NOT local linked photos- and NOT relevant to you. You cannot 'Sync' Lr6.

~ "reads LR mobile on top".  Totally irrelevant to you with Lr6. You cannot 'Sync' Lr6. Lr6 has no Cloud functions. Ignore this suggestion to "Try...".

The instructions link given by @dj_paige above, remains the most informative procedure for moving to another computer. Read it again and again until you understand it.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, thank you very much. In reply to your four questions:

(1) Yes, as shown in last photo,  (2) No, I have the photo files on an EHD and do not plan to add them to the hard drive on the new computer but simply plug in the EHD when needed, (3) I do not recall if I double-clicked the catalog, (4) the catalog that I copied to the new computer is the one that I grabbed from my desktop computer on 12-22-23 when closing it out; it shows 400,000+ previews.

I did not an any time import anything nor did I plan to; I only stated that to confirm that the images are not yet recognized by LR6 on my new computer. My plan going forward is to do all of my process ing on my desktop and to use the new computer for processing if needed (when travelling, etc).

I very much appreciate your taking the time to review my issues and present a logical plan. I will follow your advice and report back if and when I solve this issue.     jdm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1) Yes, as shown in last photo,

I see a Lightroom folder, but not specifically a Catalog file  (Lightroom Catalog.LRCAT). You only show the Previews folders.

(2) No, I have the photo files on an EHD and do not plan to add them to the hard drive on the new computer but simply plug in the EHD when needed,

That's OK, but you will need to re-link the folders in your catalog to their 'new' address on the external drive. MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen) 

(4) the catalog that I copied to the new computer is the one that I grabbed from my desktop computer on 12-22-23 when closing it out; it shows 400,000+ previews.

Well it is not the one you show in your second screen-clip. The Screen-clip shows a catalog with only 593 photos. That is not the "400,000" catalog.

2023-12-27 10_02_16-Re_ Transferring LR from old to new laptop - Adobe Community - 14301999 — Mozill.jpg

My plan going forward is to do all of my process ing on my desktop and to use the new computer for processing if needed (when travelling, etc).

This complicates matters even further as the edits you do on the laptop catalog will not be synced to the desktop catalog in any way. The catalogs on each system will be entirely different versions. The best answer for this requirement is to have both the CATALOG & PHOTO FILES all on the external drive.

MULTIPLE COMPUTERS- How to use (Lightroom Queen)

You however are, as my grandpa would say- "Flogging a dead horse.". Lightroom v6 is at the very end. Support has long since ceased. Functions are failing. Download possibilities cease 31/12/24. Even future activations of the app may cease (ie re-installs not possible!).

The Photography Plan (20GB) is the only way forward! @ BUY PHOTOGRAPHY PLANS 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, once again many thanks for your time and effort. Thanks also to dj paige for his initial assistance. This has been an eye opener for me. It has led me to the conclusion that my best option is to cancel plans to add LR6 to the new computer for many reasons including the fact that I will likely not need to use it. That eradicates one big headache. But Rob's last paragraph makes a lot of sense. I am older, not overly skilled, and the combination of LR6 and CS6 has been more than adequate for my needs, which are few. Should I encounter future problems moving to the cloud versions would be my next step. Again, my appreciation.    jdm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2023 Dec 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joseph motto  Everything I have commented on with your posts has not mentioned or suggested you "moving to the cloud versions".

If you are not aware- FYI Lightroom-Classic (the successor to you LR6) is not a "cloud version". It works entirely with local files and folders and does not need 'syncing of files' . It works exactly like your LR6.

Lightroom-Classic only requires the CC Desktop App to install and Activate the LrC app. (Photoshop and Lightroom-mobile, in the Photography Plan, are optional, should you want to use them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One final thank you for pointing out the options available to me both for my desktop unit and the new computer.Very helpful.

jdm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My apologies to start as I am technologically impaired. What may look clearcut to you in these instructions is confusing to me and I am reluctant to start anew when I suspect I am only a step or two from getting this done.

By @joseph motto

I missed seeing this message while I was on vacation. If one or more parts of the explanation are not clear to you, the next thing for you to do is ask specific questions here in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines