• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble working with external hard drives

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of migrating my photo processing tasks in LR/PS from Windows to Mac. I have all my photos on external hard drives that I used previously with Windows. I can view these volumes and import files to Lightroom ok but cannot create subfolders, move or copy files, etc. For example, when I tried to create subfolders in LR for a folder of images that I had just imported, I got this message: The folder /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive 1/Photos_FromBlueSeagateSlim_2TB/Duke_inCourtyard_2016/In Progress could not be created on disk. This leads me to think there is some sort of file/device incompatibility issue with trying to write to the external drives. Please help!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac and PC address drives differently and Mac doesn't write to certain PC formats. What format is the drive? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sean, thank you for your reply though this is the first time I have seen it. In the meantime, I did some sleuthing and found out essentially what you are saying. The drive is formatted in windows in a format that Mac can read from but not write to. The literature suggested reformatting cross-operating system drives in exFAT but of course that means moving all files to a different drive then copying them back after reformat. Luckily, my investigations also revealed that Seagate offers free to their drive users a special program driver that you can install on macs that enable them to write to windows drives. Did that and it worked like a charm! Thanks again for replying! Melanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines