Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Configure LR Classic to Access New File Location on External Drive

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been keeping my files locally on my laptop and using OneDrive to keep them backed up.  However,  I have found that LR and OneDrive don't get along that well,  especially in regards to syncing between mobile LR and LR Classic.   As such,  I'm going to discontinue OneDrive and move my pictures to an external hard drive (approx. 75,000 pix).   Apparently if I do that,  I will be able to keep Lightroom mobile and Classic synced.   However,  now that I've moved the files,  I'm unable to get the catalogue file to  access the pictures on the hard drive.  

Any advice on how to get the catalogue to access the new file location would be greatly appreciated !

thank you,

Tim

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Follow these instructions. Particularly Figure 4 and associated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow these instructions. Particularly Figure 4 and associated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dj_paige.   That worked well !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there are a few upside to moving your photos from cloud storage (Onedrive) to an external drive there is a big downside: you need to protect and maintain the drive.  I like having both a cloud backup and external drive backup.   

I've found that Onedrive is reasonably compatible with Lightroom if you just pause syncing (in Onedrive) while working in Lightroom. Otherwise Onedrive attempts to sync changes to your Lightroom catalogue as you work, eats up a lot of CPU and network bandwidth.  

To pause syncing just right click on the Onedrive icon at bottom right of your screen or under hidden icons and select pause.  There will be an option to pause for 2 hours, 8 hours, etc.   Onedrive will sync your changes later, after you've finished your work in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for the input on this.   I had been using the procedure you suggest and it worked reasonably well.  Where I rant into problems was in syncing Lightroom Mobile to Lightroom Classic, via Adobe Cloud.  The advice from Adobe tech support was that OneDrive conflicts with this process causing missing files.   And that was my experience as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines