• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to drag and drop folder files to collection sets.

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get my folders into Collections.  When I go to drag and drop them into the collection set they will not come over.  I set my folder files up like Scott Kelby in his SLIM system and now want to get them into collections so I don't use the folder files. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Folders panel, right-click a folder and click Create Collection. Then in the Create Collection dialog, chose the desired collection set.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some points to consider-

Nothing in Collections is 'Physical'.

Collections are all 'Virtual' although they may look like a folder hierarchy.

Your photo files remain in their hard-drive Folder location- nothing is 'moved' when you add photos to Collections.

Collection SETS can only contain other Collections, or other Collection Sets. (Not photos)

You cannot drag a Folder from the Folder panel to the Collection panel. (Only photos can be dragged) Use the method to create the Collections as shown by @johnrellis 

You cannot drag photos to a Collection SET.

You can only drag photos to a Standard Collection, or one of the special Collections eg. A saved Book, Slideshow, or Print Collection.

You must position the cursor and hold on the image area of a thumbnail to drag photos to a Collection. (Dragging from the grey thumbnail border does not work.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rF5O6kqog&feature=youtu.be

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it should be possible to drag a folder onto a collection set. That should create a collection from that folder inside the collection set. I just tried and it works for me on my Mac. Not sure if it works on Windows too. There are some small 'drag-and-drop' differences between the versions.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JohanElzenga  I learn something new every day!

Yes, in Windows-10, it IS possible to drag a folder from the Folder Panel onto an existing Collection SET.

I just have to keep my memory up to the possibilities.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines