Unable to open Lightroom Classic with error "catalog already in use"?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the error I'm getting when I try to start Lightroom Classic CC.  The error is that the catalog is already in use by another app.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Hi Deepwaterrow,

I believe you're using windows, if yes, then please go to the catalog's location and there you'll see a file ending with ".lrcat.lock" please delete that file and let us know if that helps.

The default location of a catalog file on windows is: C:\Users\Username\Pictures\Lightroom

Please follow this link for mac location: Lightroom catalog cannot be opened

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the folder where the catalog (*.lrcat) is located on your drive.

You'll probably see a *.lock file there. If yes, delete it ... only this one (1) file!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this and the next time i try the lock file is back

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I do this and the next time i try the lock file is back"

After deleting the .lock file, starting LR, exiting LR, and then starting it again, are you still getting the message that the catalog is in use?

In normal operation, the .lock file should appear while LR is running, and when LR exits, it will delete the .lock file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deepwaterrow,

I believe you're using windows, if yes, then please go to the catalog's location and there you'll see a file ending with ".lrcat.lock" please delete that file and let us know if that helps.

The default location of a catalog file on windows is: C:\Users\Username\Pictures\Lightroom

Please follow this link for mac location: Lightroom catalog cannot be opened

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines