• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to remove old camera profiles in Lightroom Classic

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that in the "Lens Correction" section of the Develop module in Lightroom Classic(Release 12.1 Camera RAW 15.1) It looks like my old Nikon D40 & D600 are in the list of cameras, but were never added to the default camera list. 

Looking at the preferences menu I see the following:

In the Preferences>Presets screen under RAW Defaults my settings are:

Global: Camera settings 

Override Global settings box is checked.

Under that in the dropdown list of cameras, there are older models I want to remove.

"D40" is checked, but is NOT in the default camera list to the right. How do I remove the older models D40 & D600, which are not in the list of default cameras?`

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

OK. I can accept that. I guess I would  have thought that all camera/lens metadata would be carried over when going from Lightroom to Photoshop and back.  It does cause some image 'warping' at the edges (for lack of a better term).

By @Mike851

When you go from Lightroom to Photoshop with a raw file as starting point, then you will always get a tiff or psd copy. Photoshop cannot edit a raw file directly and cannot save a file as raw. That means that the lens profile will already  be applied to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems you are confusing a few things. The title of this message talks about camera profiles, in the message you talk about lens profiles, but then the question about removing something is about camera defaults. Here's how that works and how you remove custom defaults: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get all that   BUT... in the section of your link where it described how to delete a setting... in #4, the example shows a camera that is in the default list. I have 2 cameras thet are NOT in the list on the right. How do I get rid of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. You want to remove two cameras that are not in the list on the right? If they are not in that list, then where do you want to remove them from and why?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attached a screen print with the obsolete cameras marked in black. Sorry for the poorly drawn circles, but you should see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That list is auto-generated from the images in your catalog. Those cameras should disappear if you remove all the photos made with them from the catalog (you may have to restart Lightroom after you removed the images). But why do you want to remove them in the first place?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Now I understand.  My original problem was that i was seeing a very limited list of lenses when this was set in the develop module, and iit seemed that no matter what the image was, the Nikon 14-24mm lens was listed in the profile.  Turns out that was forced by the settings of "Adobe default" which was set in the presets>Raw defaults menu. I don't recall setting that, or ever seeing any documentation about modifying it.  Anyway. i think you've explained it for me, so thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having some issues with this.  I changed the settings in the RAW defaults to say "camera settings" and not "adobe default". Checked the box to overrride the global default with camera settings.  I also put a check next to my D810 + serial number in the list of cameras. 

This worked on exactly one image. I got the full list of supported lenses, including the one I used for the shot, and all seemed OK.  With my next image in the develop module, I got a list of maybe 10 lenses, none of which was the one I actually used for  the shot.

Is there an adobe reference that explains all the various parameters in the menus, and what they do or cause when selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still confusing things. You only need to set the Raw Defaults by camera if you want different profiles for each camera. Generally if you use the internal camera looks/styles/modes, then Camera Settings will apply those for all cameras instead of the Adobe profiles (E.g. for Fuji I prefer Provia over Adobe Color). 

The raw profiles have nothing to do with lenses at all. Not one iota. 

Lens profiles, are based on the metadata that Lightroom reads from the camera, and others in the same focal range that are available. They're also for Raw files generally, with only a handful for JPEG. Some older cameras also didn't do a good job of reporthing information in the right fields. 

Have you used F1 to go to the Help file, which contains the user guide for the app? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I'm trying to do is get the correct lens info for the image.  I used to get the correct lens I used, but now the list has been truncated to about 10 items, NONE OF WHICH is the lens used in the photo.  I may have explained some things incompletely due to unfamiliarity with the various parameters and what they do, but I know the difference between a list of a few screens worth of lenses vs a list of 10 lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen shot of where you see this list. Use the image embed icon img.jpg to have it appear with the text. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First photo is a year old, so older release of Lightroom when it was imported. Note the long list of lenses, and the one checked is the one used for the image.

Correct lens profile.png

Next is a recent image showing incorrect lens info and a very truncated list.

Incorrect lens profile.png

The only thing I know for sure is different is the version of LRc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use the Large option when embedding the image? The screen captures are so small I can't see file information that could be useful in the filmstrip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also can I see just the Lens Corrections panel without the lens flyout? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is too small to say with certainty, but it looks like that the file extension of the image that only gives a few lens profiles is TIFF, not a raw extension. That would explain it and is almost always the explanation when people report a problem like this. Most lens profiles are for raw images only.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I can accept that. I guess I would  have thought that all camera/lens metadata would be carried over when going from Lightroom to Photoshop and back.  It does cause some image 'warping' at the edges (for lack of a better term).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @Mike851

When you go from Lightroom to Photoshop with a raw file as starting point, then you will always get a tiff or psd copy. Photoshop cannot edit a raw file directly and cannot save a file as raw. That means that the lens profile will already  be applied to the tiff/psd, but it is 'baked into the pixels' so you can't access it anymore in the Lens Corrections panel of Lightroom on return in Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I wanted a bigger screen shot. On my 4K monitor I couldn't see that. I did say most lens profiles for Raw too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines