• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to upgrade lightroom CC Classic - error code 176

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have an interesting problem, a few weeks ago i plugged my camera (Canon 5d Mk2) into my Dell laptop (i dont normally do that) and imported images directly. Lightroom CC Classic worked fine that session. next time i loaded the app it was not abole to run at all.

i discovered that my Dell laptop's lightroom CC Classic application had lost its drives associateion where my app  was located, i managed to find the app and readded it to my windows 11 start menu and then it worked again. the problem is that i have lightroom installed on a external SSD, along with my catalog and original image files that SSD normally has the drive letter E: assigned to it when i boot... but adding the camera move the drive letters around a bit and so it all got a bit confuded and lightroom seemed to have remembered it as it was with the camera installed. Anyway the app seemed to be working fine after i'd fixed it.. until i tried to update the app and now i get error code 176 when trying to update the app... so i am stiuck on version 11.1 and cant upgrade to 11.3... also i  keep losing the logo for the application in the start menu, but the application stikk loads upon clicking upon the blank icon...

i dont want to delete lightroom CC Classic load a new version and have to rebuild my catalog (45000 files in it (i wont bore you with why its so large, it just suits my mode of working which i dont want to change...)...

Using a dell laptop means my Drive C isnt large enough to hold my apps and catalog, hence using the External SSD on drive E:...

any ideas how i can fix that error?

thanks Michael

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Are you able to remap your drive to what it used to be? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/map-a-network-drive-in-windows-29ce55d1-34e3-a7e2-4801-1....

It's recommended that you store your photo files on an external drive to reduce storage on your local drive keep in mind that you'll get better performance if your Lightroom Classic .lrcat and .lrdata files on your local drive. These are installed locally by default in your Pictures directory.  There should be an option to Pin the Lightroom icon to your task bar as well by right-clicking on it when you have Lightroom Classic open. Hopefully other windows users may chime in with a better suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply...

With regard to performance, i deliberately purchased a Thunderbolt 3 external 2TB SSD, which gives me just a negligable performance reduction under the Dell's internal C: SSD's performance and far faster performance than a normal external USB SSD  would give, so I'm ok with the performance of .lrcat and .lrdata on that drive (normally regarded by Windows as E:).

The Drive mapping issue, casued by the temporary introduction of my camera, reolsved itself when i rebooted without the camera plugged in. But, sadly, Lightroom's start menu shortcut was impacted and failed to cope with the changes well.  I located the application and right clicked upon it and selecte the pin to start menu option, which fixed the application icon issue, but then lightroom could not find the catalogue - so it had retained the previously incorrect drive mapping from the last session too. i located the catalogue and opened it and all appeared well.

It still works to this day. This weekend I returned from a trip to Rome and copied 1600 photographs to drive E: and had lightroom import them successfully, they synced to the cloud and are visible on my Ipad (also running lightroom). So all seems well apart from - lightroom won't upgrade and reports Error Code 176.

Interestingly, there is no upgrade option offered in Adobe CC, just the install option and it is that which fails. Also Adobe CC shows I dont have lightroom installed. But Lightroom syncs to my CC Account and i can see the images in my Ipad LR app which syncs to the same account.

So unless somebody has experienced a similar issue, or symptoms, and has a fix, I'm drawn to the conclusion that I would need to start afresh, uninstall all LR apps, catalog, Cloud based syn'd images from drive C: and E:, see if i can install LR again and re import all images, or try to recover a backup of LR catalogue to that fresh install - all of whihc would take some considerable time I dont have at the moment.

Its a little frsutrating for such a small original issue, as plugging in a camera to a USB port 🙂 

Regards

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As your OS in Windows, make sure that your external drives and other removable volumes such as your SD card, and your camera (If seen as a drive) are permanently assigned drive letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines