Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Understanding the new Luminance Range Mask tool interface

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is going on with Range Masks in the latest update to Lightroom Classic. I used to use Luminance Range Masks all the time to modify dark or light parts of the image, sometimes in conjunction with a gradient mask. It worked really well.

Now when I try to do the same thing with the new updated Mask tool, I get a horrible effect where the afffected parts of the image seem to get crushed and all the pixels compress towards the same value. It's awful.

Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm running Lightroom Classic 11.0 with Camera Raw 14.0.

MaskProblem_s.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You Range Mask is 0/0 50/50 which means you didnt use Feather Controls on the Range Slider so it is going to look blocky/ugly/horrible.  Watch a video on the new range mask to see how it works.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, i forgot to mention that the Feather Controls are the little triangles on the bottom of the Range Slider

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply (and the one above). I had another play using the feather controls (I had tried previously) and I can see they do allow more control but it still seems incredibly difficult to get a good result (compared to the previous version of LR) and very easy to get a horrible result. I will experiment further and watch the video suggested below.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing to remember is the Smoothness on the old range mask feathered in and out from both ends of the range and the new feather only feathers out from the range so you need to use smaller ranges in the new mask.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) will be release...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, I will give it a watch and try to learn more.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines