• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected end of file error notification

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I encountered, after several trouble free years with Lightroom, the "unexpected end of file" error.  I moved a batch of Nikon .NEF files, that were all shot on the same day, directly from the SD card to a folder on my Mac Desktop, and from there imported to Lightroom. When trying to Develop in Lightroom all the files from that day prompted the message "unexpected end of file" error. The same thing happened when I tried the same operation on another Mac running Lightroom. The corrupted images can be viewed and zoomed and look perfect in the camera's display screen, but cannot be processed using the camera's NEF (RAW) processing function or other editing functions. In Mac Finder the files show a range of sizes from 2MB to 12MB and show a thin or wider black edge to the image.

However, other files shot prior to the "problem" day using the same camera and SD card can be transferred without issue, and new .NEF shots I have taken today using the same camera and the same SD card have transferred and performed normally in Lightroom. 

I've tried the "Fix" download but it doesn't work for me and, fair enough, that's not surprising as my camera is not among the models listed - Nikon D5100. I'm going to change SD card and do a periodic check via the in-camera RAW processing. I haven't provided any other "relevant details" as I don't know what details would be relevant in this case. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, the "unexpected end of file" error can only be caused by corrupted files. Corrupted files are almost always caused by hardware malfunctions. Hardware errors can be intermittent, or affect portions of a camera card or hard disk, but not other portions of the same camera card or hard disk.

If you could post one NEF that isn't causing the problem and one that is on a sharing web site like DropBox and provide us the links, we can see if we can reproduce the problem.

What "fix" are you referring to? What is the exact version NUMBER of your LIghtroom Classic? What is the exact version NUMBER of your operating system? (We need the version NUMBER and not words like "current" or "up-to-date")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Nikon tool to copy the files to the computer?

If yes, try to copy directly from the SD card using LrC's import.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
No I don't have any tools. I just put the SD card into the card slot older
Mac (OS 10.14.6) and drag the photos from the card into a folder on
desktop. I then import the photos to Lightroom (Classic 10.1.1) from the
desktop folder. Have also tried importing directly from the SD card but
with no improvement. Have tried the same transfer (via C-port and card
reader) on my new Mac Big Sur 11.3 and Lightroom 10.1.1 I believe the
problem is an intermittent software issue in the camera, considering the
age of the camera and all the hard work it has done. All the NEF photos
from yesterday (same camera, same card, same computer) transferred problem
free. I mostly use a newer camera, so am not too inconvenienced. Thank you
anyway for your interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have already given acces to "all disc" to a PS and LR in preferences of MAC?

It's something new from BIG SUR, at least for me that I have a network at home. I have never done it in previous IOS. 
I am Canon user with new MAC laptop and all programs updates to last versions and I was having corrupted photos (70%) after import in Lr (I used to import straight from Compact flash to a Lr and the photos are saved in a network disc). My problem has been almost solven by doing:

Preferences: Security/privacy go to "access to all disc" (left menu) then add PS and Lr.

Also in Finder go to "app", find PS icon app then right button to go to "obtein the information". At the bottom of that window, where "share & permissions" you need to add all (read & write) permissions to the "System" users. 
Repeat this proccess with Lr. 

I hope this can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for this advice but I don't think it is necessary in my case. I
had 500 photos on the SD card and only 12 of them (all shot on the same
day) had the unexpected end of file error.

After that, I haven't had a problem. But if it happens with Big Sur I will
try your solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, read here if you're facing the same issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/unexpected-end-of-file-occurred/td-p/8848939

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines