• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unexpected end-of file occurred

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any body know why these unexpected errors are blocking photos as I have already lost 58 pictures that I can not look at and I have a photo shoot the weekend and in the week and don't fancy down loading 585 photos to be able only to look and adjust a few of them does anybody know how to resolve this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Using Nikon software can corrupt the NEF files and make them unreadable to Lightroom.

For a fix, see this page Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

To avoid this happening in the future, use the operating system (Mac Finder or Windows Explorer) to copy the NEFs to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file type?

How are you transferring them to your computer?

What is your OS and exact version of LR?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

os and LR are all up to date first thing I checked, and its a raw file straight from the camera to Nikon software and then I import it to Lightroom, its strange as this morning took a few shots and put them on the system and it came up with this message on 3 out of 5 pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please respond to the questions asked.

Do not use Nikon transfer as it is known - depending on the version - to sometimes corrupt NEF files.

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Nikon software can corrupt the NEF files and make them unreadable to Lightroom.

For a fix, see this page Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

To avoid this happening in the future, use the operating system (Mac Finder or Windows Explorer) to copy the NEFs to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this and thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the problem could be the Nikon software, usually "unexpected end of file" indicates that the file is corrupted somehow in the transfer from camera to computer, and this is a different corruption than what is caused by Nikon software. If it is a different corruption, then the problem could be bad hardware, such as bad card reader or bad camera card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup is Nikon NEF and I haven't ever had a problem with corrupted NEF files until today.  An entire days worth of images would import into Lightroom from the SD card, but every one of them (from this specific day) had an "unexpected end of file" error.  I tried "copy as DNG" and "move" both giving the same error.  I noted thet in both cases it would move the "image" as an NEF in a corrupted format and that rendered anything after that point useless (DNG conversion or developing).  I did a full reboot on everything (starting from scratch) and still had the same problem. 

Before I tried the "Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images" link, I gave one last ditch effort to try a different import work flow.  Rather than importing directly from the SD card into Lightroom I copied the NEF files from the SD card into a folder on my desktop (note that the image sizes, total folder size, etc were all identical).  From Lightroom I then imported the NEF files from the desktop folder copy and they imported without any issue. They copied as NEF, converted as DNG and then are completely accessible and processable in Lightroom. 

I also noticed that subsequent day images didn't have this issue from the SD card.  Again, it's the only time its happened...  Odd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dredging this up out of the cold.  For the first time this error popped up on my MacBook Pro with LR Classic and .ORF files from an Olympus TG-6.  Has anyone had this issue with .ORF files or is it an SD Card issue showing the importance of reformatting in camera every time? This card has only been used in the TG-6 and in camera formatted a couple of times.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I encountered for the first time, after many trouble free years, exactly the same problem as ethana (above). I moved a batch of Nikon .NEF files, that were all shot on the same day, directly from the SD card to a folder on my Mac Desktop, and from there Imported to Lightroom. When trying to Develop in Lightroom all the files from that day prompted the message "unexpected end of file" error. The same thing happened when I tried the same operation on another Mac running Lightroom. Other files shot previous to that specific day could be transferred without issue and new .NEF shots taken today using the same camera and same SD card have transferred and performed perfectly in Lightroom. The corrupted images can be viewed and zoomed in the camera's display screen, but cannot be processed using the camera's NEF (RAW) processing function or other editing functions. Have to blame it on the weather that day 🙂 or maybe a low battery? Will try the "Fix" suggested, but fortunately not many photos affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dfloeter@chartermi.net  @defaulttn96k1rz8il1 

Please start new threads and provide all relevant details in the new threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines