Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected error opening catalog - Lightroom Version 10.2

New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:

I was using Lightroom normally yesterday, closed the program and did a backup of my catolog. 

When trying to open Lightroom today it shows me the following error messsage :

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 6.09.29 PM.png

When choosing adifferent catolog for example a backup I get the same message. 

Try again - same message.

Create a new catolog - same message. 

So basically I am not able to run Lightroom at all since my only option is to quit. 

Also my Catolog has a strange name I haven't seen before - Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat.old

I tried to restart my Mac, locate the Catolog in a different place, nothing seems to work. 

The support was contacted and they run all their usual tests on my machine and checked that all permissions etc. are granted. Only solution so far send the catolog to the support team to check if they can safe it. 

If anyone has another idea what to do I would be very grateful! 

Thank you!

I am running macOS Big Sur Version 11.3.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

3,1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also my Catolog has a strange name I haven't seen before - Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat.old

What happens if your remove the .old from the file name? Can you open it then?

Have you tried putting a backup of your catalog file on a different disk than the original, and see if it open from the different disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried removing the .old but same error message. 

I also made a copy and put the catalog on two different disks, again, same error message 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also made a copy and put the catalog on two different disks, again, same error message.

Made a copy of what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A copy of the original catalog as well as two different backups that I tried to open from different locations 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original will not open if you move it to a different disk. Whatever problem it has will still be in the file.

Regarding the backups, let's be specific. Are your backups stored on a different disk than the originals?

• If yes, did you make a brand new copy of one of the backups for the purposes of this test? Or was it a copy of the backups that you tried to open earlier?
  • If no, then you are in a very bad situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok good to know about the original file. I only ready somewhere that people fixed some issues by moving the original file into another place like the desktop or something so I tried that too and also tried an external disk. 

The backups are stored on the same disk. So I made a cope of the backup and moved it in order to test it. Didn't work. Same problem. I'm actually not able to do anything. Nothing has worked and I don't understand why because I literally only closed the program the day before and let it do the backup. 

I can't even create a new catalog 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are having a hard disk malfunction, and all catalogs on that hard disk are now suspect.

Storing backups of anything on the same disk as the originals is always a bad idea. Backups must be on a different hard disk than the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am storring it on the internal SSD of my Macbook and I tested the drive it seems to work completley fine. 

I will however in the future take your advice and store the backups in a different place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am storring it on the internal SSD of my Macbook and I tested the drive it seems to work completley fine.

The evidence you provided leads me to the opposite conclusion. You really ought to run diagnostics on this disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 7.26.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-102-message-the-cat...

Also in this thread a lot of people seem to run into the same problem 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am facing exactly the same issue today, while importaing 100 raw files, Lightroom closed unexpectedly, and when I tried to reopen it, the same message occured. Everything else is working properly on my Imac... I tried to repair the catalog but withoutr success. Have you finally been able to fix the problem ?

Thanks

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric, 

still haven't found a solution. Sorry 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I actualy sent my catolog to the support because they said it is corrupt. They sent me back the repaired catolog. 

I try to open it...

Same error message!

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The easiest is to replace the catalog by the latest backup... (hopefully you have backups...), it opens properly !

Ifyou have imported pictures you have to re-import them (the files are still in your lightroom pictures, but they do not show), you only lose the changes you have made to the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have plenty backups. None of them worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any ideas anyone ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines