• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexplainable logic of applying metadata presets to multiple images

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short: Creating a virtual copy seems to remove the metadata preset that was applied on import. The problem is when I set out to fix this by applying that preset to a batch of images in grid mode, it fails to add the preset to those that don't have it. 

The long: Running LR Classic 12.0 on MacOS. I'm failing to understand the logic of applying metadata presets, as it doesn't seem to follow the same logic as applying other settings (ratings, colors, develop presets, etc.). 

For ex. I have an image that doesn't have a metadata preset, i.e., my copyright info. I click deselect then select all images in that colletion and apply the metadata preset to all. With all images selected the preset field shows the correct 2022 preset in the metadata pane with all pics selected. But when I only have that original image selected, the one missing the preset, it still have no preset.  This seems odd since typically when metadata between images selected doesn't match, it simply shows < mixed > but if this case it falsely shows the preset. 

This is a problem within a problem because 1. each time I create of virtual copy the metadata from import is mysteriously dropped and 2. when I set out to fix this by selecting all the images in the set and applying the preset, well it doesn't apply to the ones without the preset. And hunting down those that are missing it and individually applying it takes time.

Here's a screenrecord video demonstrating the problem: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4yylqr5jgawp3v/LR%20meta%20preset%20problem.mov?dl=0

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

When I apply a metadata preset to a photo and then create a virtual copy, Preset shows none, but the metadata is clearly applied. The virtual copy is copying the information contained in the file, not the reference to the preset where that information came from, and that to me sounds like expected behaviour.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention using LrC 12.0 yet UI for the Metadata panel isn't what I would expect to see for 12. The UI should be as shwon in below screenshot. I suggest you check in LrC Help > System Info that you are running 12.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to be version 12.0 -- see attached 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video is not displaying the correct Metadata panel UI for LrC 12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just realized I recorded that prior to the update, so nicely observed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply a metadata preset to a photo and then create a virtual copy, Preset shows none, but the metadata is clearly applied. The virtual copy is copying the information contained in the file, not the reference to the preset where that information came from, and that to me sounds like expected behaviour.  

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, thanks for chiming in. You are in fact correct: upon export the metadata is actually there, even though the alias files say Preset: None.

Thanks for your input, that fixes my issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines