• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unintuitive comands

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean LRC is really sometimes a frustrating beast and it feels like it was done in some other firm, not Abobe.

I wonder why can it not follow the regular standard concept of shortcuts in adobe products. For instance. 

• Comand-W - close window, not quit the app
  • Alt - mouse wheel - zoom in and out 

Or at least give us a preference option for using the standard commands and not this LR weirdness. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Lightroom is a database application. Like other database applications it quits when the database is closed. That is why it quits when you close its window.

By the way: This is a user-to-user forum. We are not Adobe. For feature requests, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your feature request first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a database application. Like other database applications it quits when the database is closed. That is why it quits when you close its window.

By the way: This is a user-to-user forum. We are not Adobe. For feature requests, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your feature request first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care how developers call this software - all I know is it is used by photographers not database managers. There is Bridge for managing assets anyway. 

Control Z is undo in every other app on the planet except here ti does - can't remember what any more.

It is completely bogus and this is one of the reasons why you are losing customers - bye bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Ctrl + Z does undo the last step(s), and it's always been that way. Maybe there is another issue in your installation that causes a problem, but at least in that case the shortcut is the same as everywhere.

Anyway, it does seem you don't care about using Lightroom anymore. Hope you find another app that meets your needs.

Michael

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does't CMD + Z is UNDO SELECTION on Mac.

This mean - I paste some setting onto a picture, hit CMD-Z and the image gets unselected while the applied settings remain. Then I need to go dig through the menus to find how to undo the pasted settings.

And I am just scratching the surface of how bad this interface is designed. Then again -- even the look of it does not follow the look of other Adobe apps and my guess is it is getting abandoned soon anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't want to take the time to learn Lightroom Classic, you just want to use it as if operated the same as some other application. I suggest that's not a good approach.

... this is one of the reasons why you are losing customers - bye bye.

Their revenue from Creative Cloud applications, as publicly reported, keeps going up. So Adobe is not losing customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, I'm on Windows...

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is indeed a unique application, it is not Photoshop for sure. Actually, it is a stand-alone application and does not require Photoshop or any other application from Adobe is installed on your computer.

It's more like an alternative to Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw Plugin for Photoshop. You can be an expert with Photoshop but if you wish to use Lightroom effectively then you will need to learn how the application functions.

I adopted the application as my go-to program for working with my image files the large majority of which are RAW file format from my Cameras.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are interested, I wrote a blogpost a while ago on how to customize the Lightroom shortcuts, since as you mentioned there is no way to do it in the preferences.

https://kelmond.com/customize-keyboard-shortcuts-in-lightroom/

I wrote it for Windows, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find the corresponding folder location on Mac. Before assigning a new key combination, just try it to make sure it doesn't do anything in Lightroom, or at least nothing you need. For instance, I myself assigned the S (normally soft-proofing, which I rarely use) to "create snapshot".

Hope that helps,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you found a workaround, however I am not a software tinkering guy. I will just switch to something else. 

Thank you and best 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ctrl+W thing is annoying I agree, but Lightroom is a one window application. There is a warning window when you go to quit though, so unless you've turned this off, you shoudn't be exited immediately. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maruhana wrote:

I mean LRC is really sometimes a frustrating beast and it feels like it was done in some other firm, not Abobe.

I wonder why can it not follow the regular standard concept of shortcuts in adobe products. For instance. 

• Comand-W - close window, not quit the app

That would never fly on a Mac for one. This is a cross platform product. 

But further, this is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864\
For Camera Raw, use the Photoshop fourm.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines