• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown noise in dark areas of image after rendering?

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DSC02208.jpg

So I've been having this issue for awhile now. I shoot A LOT of low light photos with a Sony a7R IV. After editing in lightroom and exporting I see this weird and annoying effect going on in the top left area and in the dark areas of my images. It almost looks like stars in space or a sparkle. Does anybody know what this is and HOW to correct it? I know the luminance slider works but i dont want to make my image look all plastic and weird with that. Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also another note, the effect is A LOT more noticeable on phones than on a monitor. But then lets say you were to download the photo, it would lessen itself. I'm really confused as to what this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tom2430762432uw wrote:

Also another note, the effect is A LOT more noticeable on phones than on a monitor. But then lets say you were to download the photo, it would lessen itself. I'm really confused as to what this is.

This may be due to the different luminance or gamma settings between phones and computer displays. For example, if a display is calibrated for print, the luminance has to be relatively low (for example 90-120 nits). But many TV,  computer, and phone displays adjusted for casual/office use may be 150-250 nits, and much higher if set to full brightness. If someone likes a nice bright screen and hikes up the brightness, and they look at an image edited for a less bright medium, any problems in the shadows are going to become a lot easier to see.

It’s just another reason to make sure you expose to minimize potential problems in the shadows. Of course, that is a challenge when shooting a low-light scene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were the photos shot at a high ISO speed, or were they shot darker than the recommended exposure?

It looks like noise caused by boosting an underexposed image, and the same effect can be produced by shooting at a high ISO speed. The EXIF data for the photo shows that it was shot at ISO 2000, which is pretty high. On most good cameras, ISO speeds below 800 do not reveal that type of noise unless you over-boosted the shadows.

So the way to fix it is to keep your ISO speed as low as you can, while also exposing so that you don’t have to brighten it too much in software.

If you want to try and fix it in Lightroom Classic, it’s about more than just moving the Luminance slider. If you like a certain Luminance value, you can try to reduce the sparkles by also adjusting the Detail slider.

Also, noise and sharpening are related, so seeing white or colored noise sparkles can also mean Sharpening is too high, or Sharpening was used without Masking off the broad areas. It can also mean Texture is too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible that higher ISO produces less noise, so let's not go there until we can actually view the raw data in something like RawDigger.

100vs800iso

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really need a DNG which would bake all your edits and allow analysis of the raw exposure outside of Lightroom Classic. Can you upload such a DNG to something like Dropbox or similar? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines