• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unresponsive when opening previous catalog

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a new catalog in lightroom and wanted to open my previews catalog which tells me it needs to be updated to the current LR version. After resuming Lightroom starts to open but turns unresponsive after a while and I have to force to stop the program. 

I know my older catalog is pretty big ( didn't understand I should make new ones frequenly) But I never had problems making backups and even transfering and opening it, till today after setting up a new catalog.

I have the current LR classic version on Windows 11

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community forums to LR Classic.]

Try resetting preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

After trying for several times it just worked. I changed nothing. I am trying to move some folder to another catalog to reduce the size and hope this will help with any further issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted, my bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to open? The previews are not a separate catalog, they belong to the catalog (.lrcat) file with the same name. Or did you mean 'previous' rather than 'previews'?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry that was a typo. I am trying ot open the previous catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is designed to work with large catalogs. For search purposes, you're doing yourself a disservice using a lot of smaller catalogs. 

Larger catalogs can take a long time to upgrade. How long are you talking about about? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can I just continue having one catalog for all?

The Backup takes a really long time and the upgrade  to but I like having everything in one spot. 

I usually just back up and leave my computer to it so I am not sure how long it really takes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Not sure how many images you have but my current catalog is over 640K, weighing in at 7.4GB catalog only. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines