• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

update and catalog problems

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of LR classic. When I start LR, then it always shows a welcoming page for the new version and wants to load an old catalog, update it and make a new catalog. I then choose a newer catalog that has been updated and check the box for always starting with this newer, updated catalog. But when I start LR again it goes back to the old one and wants to start again with an update and a new catalog (by now with the addition .... V10.11). How can I make LR choose the new catalog? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC, not LR.

You can try resetting your preference file. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LrC, (I have the photography package but do not use LR yet). I
followed the instructions for resetting the preferences file, and it still
wants to use the old catalog. After deleting the preference file in the
roaming app data, lightroom does treat me as a completely new user, with
boxes on how to import files. In LR in the preferences menu the new catalog
is shown, but it keeps starting with suggesting the old catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible you are starting Lr-Classic by clicking on a Catalog Shortcut (on the desktop)? This could repeatedly open the 'old' catalog and never the 'new'.

Open Lr-Classic from the Windows 'All Apps'  Start screen as you hold down the [CTRL] key. Hold [CTRL] until you see a dialog to select the correct Catalog to 'open'.

With the correct Catalog open, note its filename at the top of the App window, and set this in Preferences / General / Default Catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rob, I do start the app, not by clicking on the catalog, and I have
checked in the preferences menu which catalog is listed ; it lists the new
catalog, but it still keeps opening the older catalog (and shows a
welcoming menu to tell me I have to upgrade and I'm going to use version
11, which I have since it was released. I have no idea what may cause this
problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close LrC, use Windows File Explorer to navigate to the new catalog. Double click on it. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it worked and I did get the new catalog and this time no welcoming screens. But still, it's a work around; it should also work by starting the app. Any idea on what may couse that problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please share a screenshot of /preferences/general/

Interested in what you have for default catalog.

P.S. you might want to consider selecting "Prompt me when starting Lightroom" That has the advantage of being able to create a new catalog when starting as opposed to after (should a catalog crash occur), being able to select a not so recent catalog (some of us disagree with the one catalog concept, old dog, new tricks) And the ability to check for integrity upon opening a catalog instead of upon backup ( theoretically the latter can go bad, very bad, then backup a damaged catalog) . Their is a keyboard shortcut to do the same when double clocking on your start icon, I always forget what it is. ALt or CMD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines