• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Lightroom, and Lightroom is making all of my photos brighter automatically?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated lightroom to the newest version, and my catalog updated as well. Aside from lightroom operating extremely slow now after the update, I'm experiencing a weird issue though that now when I select a photo, the proper edit shows up for a second, and then lightroom updates the exposure to be much brighter on it's own. The way it appears when I select it for a quick second is how it was supposed to look (and how it looked before the update). I'm not sure why lightroom is updating the exposure this way? Then, when the image is deselected, the preview below looks correct too. Video is attached. Why is this happening and is there a fix?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to this, this is also occurring on my raw, unedited photos too. This didn't happen before the update. Could really use some assistance with this - I have some galleries that have a deadline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perspective, it appears that what Lightroom is doing is first showing the embedded preview until it is able to adjust for whatever you have done in Lightroom. Perhaps (notice "perhaps") your monitor brightness is set too high. Without seeing the entire Basic panel to see what adjustments have been made, it is difficult to evaluate what has been done. But the histograms for the images seem to be about right in my opinion. Have you taken the time to establish your own default settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this might be the case too (in terms of previews) but Lightroom didn't do this in the previous version I had. I had actually edited these photos and exported them before updating Lightroom, and the edits were exactly where I wanted them. Then, when I updated Lightroom, it made these histogram adjustments automatically and completely changed the edits I had made in the previous version. Also, something that is throwing me off is that my edited previews at the bottom of the develop panel no longer look accurate to my edit, unless that photo is selected. This wasn't the case in the previous (quite a bit older) version of Lightroom that I had.

For example, when the photo is not selected, the preview image looks like this:

hollydesautels_0-1657810716425.jpeg

then when the image is selected, the preview looks like this:

hollydesautels_1-1657810760540.jpeg

This makes it a bit difficult to see my edits on a gallery at a glance, since the photo now looks a bit underexposed unless it is selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't rely on previews for accuracy ever. I only rely on the main display in the Develop module. Others may have other opinions and have accurate results from other sources. But that is the only display that I rely on for accuracy on my computer. You decide what works best for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you have applied a Profile named Summer Fields. Wonder if something is causing issues with that profile. Does this happen with a non third party Profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second observation. You are seeing this while in Library module. What occurs in Develop module? 

Different color space, different previews.

Wounder if your Library previews got fouled up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing occur on unedited photos as well, with the default Adobe Standard profile. You can see the change occur both in the preview and in the actual photo when a photo is selected in the develop module. I'll attach a screen recording below. This doesn't seem normal. Watching videos of others editing in the updated lightroom, the previews don't change this way when selected. It's making my workflow quite difficult

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think what is happening is that Lightroom is transitioning from the JPEG preview to the preview that includes the adjustments applied by whatever gets applied on import. I ask again, have you created your own preset to apply on import. And, it is possible that your monitor is brightness is set too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines