I updated Lightrrom to version 10.4 a few days ago. While working with a collection, I suddenly noticed that all the photos, which came from different folders, were now listed as being from the same folder (called 0907). I thought maybe I had inadvertantly done something wrong, so began to drag & drop each one into its correct folder. However, some of them said the file was already there, or that there was an error and wouldn't move it.
I looked in my OS and found that the images shown as being in 0907 were not in that folder; instead of the 9 images that LR shows when I click on the 0907 folder, the OS shows there to be 102, which is what should be there and were shown correctly a few days ago.
The same goes for every single folder. In the LR Folder list, most of the folders show a small number of images instead of the total that had been imported from that folder and were there a few days ago. Note that LR shows that I have 36917 images, yet the numbers in the sub-folders don't add up.
What is going on and how do I correct it? Do I need to go back to the previous version of LR and hope for the best? Should I start over with my last backup?
I'm on a 2017 iMac with 64GB RAM, running Mojave. Please, someone help!
Sounds to me like you accidentally opened the wrong catalog file. Use File->Open Catalog and select each one shown there until you find the catalog of interest.
Also, I will not download attached files. Include your screen capture in your message by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.
Thanks for your reply, but I have only one catalog and had been working on it the whole day. Right before I quit for the night that I discovered this anomaly. I can't figure out why all the images in the collection that I'd created suddenly were in the 0907 folder. I certainly didn't drag & drop them there.
At any rate, I restarted the computer, uninstalled the newest version of LR, then installed it once again. I opened my last backup catalog (from a week ago) and found everything as it should have been. I then quit LR, deleted the backup catalog (still have the zip file of it) so there was no question about which catalog I was using, and restarted LR with my working catalog. Nothing had changed but at least I was able to move the files into their correct folders again — some had error messages when I dragged them so I had to change the name slightly, but at least I got them back to where they belong. Now I just hope there isn't a glitch that will cause that to happen again. I don't have time for it.
A full screenshot of the Library module, grid view may help us understand.
As for inserting photo, please do not attach, instead insert photo, Image below showing where, a bit out of date, but shows the correct button
Sorry, I can't take a screen shot now because I rectified the problem, at least for now. Bottom line was that my collection of images from several different folders somehow all ended up in one folder without any intervention from me.
Just some thoughts, Collections are not Folders in LrC i.e. Lightroom Classic.
Folders in LrC are representative of folders in your Computer system that contain image files that have been imported into LrC.
Collections contain data about image files from Folders in LrC, one image file can be assigned to any number of Collections. The data about Collections is stored in the Catalog file, there are no image files in the Collections nor copies of the image files. If you remove an image file from LrC or delete from the disk it will be removed from all Collections.
Actually, I teach Lightroom to other users so I understand how all of it works (I've been using LR since it's beta version). That's why this is such a anomaly to me. I had placed the files into a Collection from various folders and made adjustments in the Develop module to most of them. When I was done, I noticed that every one of them now showed in the expanded cell as being in 0907 folder which is not where most of them came from. I am sure that I did not drag & drop them into that folder so I don't understand how they got there and why I couldn't get most of them back into their appropriate folders.
I'm sorry that I don't have any more information to share, so it seems as if this is an unsolvable problem that I hope I don't encounter again. Thanks to all who responded.