• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating export presets in Lightroom Classic 10.3/10.4 with Windows 10

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my version of LR Classic to 10.3 with Windows 10 (and it also appears to be 10.4) it seems that when exporting to hard drive the option to "Update preset using current settings" is no longer available. It used to be that if you right-clicked on the preset name an options box came up with various options including the update option. Now what happens is that the preset name is highlighted in blue, but no options dropdown appears and the options reset themselves to those installed when the preset was newly written. I now have to manually set the options each time I select the preset and cannot save the latest version. This is now becoming very tiresome. The preset was written in a previous version of LR Classic, so I guessed it may be a problem with updating the program, but I've tried writing a new preset and updating that, but the same problem happens. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? .....or is there now something somewhere in "Preferences" that has to be selected to turn this on. I've looked, but maybe I can't see the wood for the trees.

As far as I can see, the program is working perfectly in all other respects.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reseting the LrC Preferences files as outlined in the below article. During updates it can sometimes get corrupted and cause strange issues like what you are experiencing.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've reset the Preferences according to the instructions in the link in your response.... and the Preferences were indeed reset (it was clear from the UI). However, it didn't cure the export preset issue. There is still no dropdown when you right-click on the preset (and it still resets the options to those orginally input when the preset was written).... so it can't be updated to current settings. I'm really scratching my head now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of preset are you talking about?

• Develop preset found in presets panel
  • Profile preset
  • Adjustment brush preset
  • External Editor preset
  • Other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of preset are you trying to update. On my system only the 'User' Export presets can be updated.

User Presets.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... the user presets. I'm pretty sure that before this upgrade (in Windows 7) you could update any export preset, although I accept that it might only be possible to do the user presets now. That would be fine. I've tried re-installing the whole program, resetting the Preferences, switching the tick box on and off for "save presents with this database" and I've also tried creating a brand new database (the existing ones were upgraded by the program on first use after the LR upgrade was carried out) with only a couple of photos in it.... none of which changes anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm pretty sure that before this upgrade (in Windows 7) you could update any export preset, although I accept that it might only be possible to do the user presets now."

I Just checked LR 5.7.1 and 9.4 on a Windows 7 system and only the User Export presets can be updated. You can create new presets in the User folder or Add> New Folder with a name similar to the folder with the presets you want to update. Select the preset you want to update, change its settings, and then click Add> Preset Name and make sure the new folder is selected. A preset will appear in that folder with the new settings AND you can now also Update its settings.

User Presets.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd.... I think we've just hit the point where this whole "user community", self-help B/S stops working. What you say above has no relevance whatsoever to the matter in hand. I just don't care if you know more about LR than me or not.... but your comments seem to suggest that it is important to you. Let's have less of the ego-tripping and try and sort this issue out. It's quite important to me. Having said that, I'm a professional photographer who uses LR and PS every single day of his life, certainly since the days when LR was a completely new program. So, if you do know more than me, then good on you - but if you do, you're going some! I'm sure I can still find the boxes to the original version of the software if I look hard enough.

Back at LR 8.3.1 I was happily using Windows 7 and there were a whole host of issues brought about by the updates beyond that point. I stayed at that version for a while, having downloaded version 9 and then reverted back to a legacy copy downloaded via Creative Cloud.... but started to feel that I was getting left behind. On the advice of Adobe, I upgraded my OS to Windows 10 and the latest version of LR (they said that LR version 10 ONLY works with Windows 10) and there were then some hardware issues which got sorted out by upgrading my graphics adapter to a 4Gb one commonly known to work perfectly with LR. At some point in time which I cannot quite pinpoint precisely for you, I noticed that I could not update the export options in LR.... probably at some point when I had 3-4 processing jobs on the go and was switching between them. I have also noticed a couple of small issues with the Save option when using Actions in PS (although strangely, not when using automated actions).... which may or may not be related. So..... whether or not you can update presets other than those that I have written/saved means nothing. I've written more and forgotten more presets than most LR users over the years. I now cannot update them and simply want someone to try and explain to me why that is, so that I can cure the issue and crack on like normal. Anyone's help in achieving that would be much, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi Todd.... I think we've just hit the point where this whole "user community", self-help B/S stops working"

Sorry to hear you feel that way. I'll bow out and let others help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Let's have less of the ego-tripping and try and sort this issue out."

Please keep it civil. Your comment is very unfair to Todd -- of all the regular posters here, he is among the most self-effacing. His last comment was certainly relevant, suggesting a less-satisfactory workaround if you can't figure out why Update With Current Settings isn't available in your configuration. You may not find that workaround helpful, but others might reasonably have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karlie Karl 

I am on LrC 10.4 and I do see the ability to 'update' and export preset, however it can be misleading when the Preset first chosen loses the highlight.

This is what I see-

1) I select a Preset

2021-09-07 07_41_17-Export One File.jpg

2) I change one setting in the Preset (Quality 100>54) Note the Preset loses the highlight.

2021-09-07 07_41_37-Export One File.jpg

3) I can get the context menu with a [Right-Click]  But- DO NOT [Left-Click] on the Preset name!

2021-09-07 07_41_49-Export One File.jpg

I wonder if you have been selecting the Preset again BEFORE you [Right-Click] ?

And another point you may already know, but it catches a few people out,- placing a tick in the checkbox disables any changes to the Preset.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Here's the process I'm seeing....

1. I click on the user preset name. It turns blue and the various options are displayed. The options always revert to the ones set when the preset was first written.
  2. I change an option(-s) and the name of the preset becomes unhighlighted.
  3. I hover the cursor over the name of the preset, right-click and... then the name of the preset is once again highlighted  and the options return to what was set when the preset was first written. 
  4. The preset's checkbox is never ticked.
  5. The preset is not selected again at any point before right-clicking.

All the best!

By the way..... My system is Lc-Classic 10.4, Ps 22.5, Windows 10, Lightroom 5.7 and Canon DSLR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Step 3) that I find different!

"I hover the cursor over the name of the preset, right-click and... then the name of the preset is once again highlighted"

My mouse "hover" never highlights the Preset name. I can [Right-Click] without seeing any highlight.

Something is causing your highlight to re-appear, and a [Right-Click] is simply 're-opening' your preset with the original settings!

(I find it strange that Todd's screen-clip indicates a blue hightlight AND the context menu to 'Update...'.  For me this is only visible when I have not made changes to the Preset.)

After changes, my Preset does not return to the blue highlight until AFTER I have selected "Update..."

Have you tried a different mouse? Or backup your Preferences file (to restore if needed) and test a Preferences Reset to see if this will fix the problem. PREFERENCES RESET 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Rob.

Here are the screen dumps of the process......

1. Select preset

Select Preset #1.png

2. Change an option (filename).

Change Filename #2.png

3. Update preset

Update preset #3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of answers, sorry.

Contact Adobe Support by a Chat- you may be lucky to find a knowledgable staff member.

In the mean-time a work-around could be to -

-Change the Preset settings

-[Add] the Preset as a new Preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a long, late night last night I think I've finally got somewhere with this....

Firstly, from what I've seen on the 'net it looks like a very common problem. I've seen many reports of exactly the same issues I've been having.

Secondly, I am a fairly experienced LR user (every day for donkey's years), so I was fairly sceptical that the issue lies with the program. The non-functional right-click within the Export part of the program was the ONLY place where it occurred. Indeed, I specifically checked that it was working at all the other places where it should (e.g. right-clicking an image to export it into PS).... all fine!

So... where to go from there? Well, it always seems a good idea when faced with these kind of issues to check everything that's taking part in the problem. Software "seems" to be OK... but what else is involved. First (and obvious) thing to look at next is the pointing device. Is the right-click actually functioning? Well, I use a graphics tablet (Wacom MTE-450) and it has - literally - been my right-hand man during many years of photo editing. There was nothing that I'd noticed to indicate any issues with it, but just for the sake of thoroughness I changed it for a basic mouse to see what happened. All of sudden, right-clicking on the preset brought out the dropdown and I could update it!! So, the issue appears to be the graphics tablet.

Next I replaced the tablet and updated the driver to the "latest" version through the Wacom website. It only mentioned compatibility with and up to Windows 7. With the latest driver in place, the tablet started to perform more eratically and the right-click in the Export function in LR went back to being non-functioning. I've also noticed some other things that are now not as they should be.... double-clicking in my email client now doesn't function, etc.

So, there we have it. I'm fairly confident that the issue was that my graphics tablet wasn't quite 100% Windows 10 compatible. I'm confident enough to say that I'll be off to let a few GBPs loose on a new, "latest model" tablet later this morning.

Lastly, if you've been experiencing this problem, then I would suggest that you look at your pointing device and check just how "compatible" it is with Windows 10.... and maybe brace yourself for buying a new one!

I hope this helps someone out there. As I say, there seem to be a hell of a lot of you. Many thanks to ALL those who tried to help me. Your time is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for everyone's info.... I've updated my graphics tablet to the latest model equivalent from Wacom (with a driver that is definitely Windows 10 compatible) and the system is running as it should be. The settings now need to be tweaked to make things (pointer-wise) as I like them, but that can be done on the fly. One comment I do have about the new tablet, though.... it definitely feels a lot flimsier than the old one - maybe just a sign of the times. The pen is very light. Fingers crossed that it lasts as long as the other did... I feel like I've just buried an old friend. Now.... back on the job!!

Thanks again, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines