Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Updating my old LR6 catalog & photos to a new PC running LrC (after subscription)

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older Win10 PC running stand alone LR6.14 (with a ton of  presets created & installed) and of course my massive photo file structure.  I built a new Win10 PC and after purchasing a CC subscription will install LrC on it.  I will leave the old PC alone until I am satisfied the new one works properly with LrC.  Questions:

1) What is the best method for updating the old LR6 catalog to LrC on the new PC?

2) Can I also just copy over my Presets folder to the new PC of course in the proper place for LrC to find it?

3) Once my catalog has been transferred & updated to LrC on the new PC, can I just point the new catalog to the new hard disk location of my photo tree on the new PC?

I understand there may be issues with various plugins and presets but I can deal with updating those once my old catalog & photos are updated & transferred to the new PC running LrC.

Thanks and regards.

--John Mejia

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you first open a old catalog with new LrC v11, it will upgrade the catalog. This will create a copy that is modified to work in v11. This new catalog cannot be opened by v6.

2. The presets have a new format. But the newer LrC can convert at startup. Well thst is if you were upgrading on a computer with v6 on it. Thing is, where are they, You may be able to import them later, but I am not a preset user, do take that with a grain of salt.

A link on migrating to another computer

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read the instructions here about moving Lightroom to a new computer, and follow them EXACTLY. Do not make up your own steps. Do not skip steps (except the part about moving Mac to Windows, or Windows to Mac, which does not apply to you).

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Strong recommendation: do not  combine the move to the new computer and the move to Lightroom Classic 11. Keep these separate. Get everything working in Lr 6 on the new computer. Check and double-check. Triple check. Then once you are sure you have everything working in Lr 6, then install Lightroom Classic 11 and upgrade. (Yes, it is possible to combine the two moves into one, if you know what you are doing, but your questions indicate that you would be better off keeping the two steps separate).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines