Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade catalog Lightroom Classic 6 --> Lightroom 10.4

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I used for many years Lightroom Classic 6 in order to keep the possibility to quite with creative cloud.

Now I want to use 10.4 version (the last one) of Lightroom Classic (LRC).

When I try to import my LRC6 catalog in a new LRC10.4 catalog, LRC says it is too old.

So I installed the last old version of LRC which is the 8.4.1 on cerative cloud and it is the same problem.

Where can I download the oldest LRC7 to try to upgrade successivly the catalog ?

Is there an other way to upgrade directly my catalog from LRC6 to LRC10 ?

Thank you for your help !

Sébastien

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Hello everybody !

You know what, the problem was obvious but I needed to answer question from Senior support to make it fresh in my head (do we say that in proper English ?) !

The ircat was on a sdxc extern card. Lightroom don't like it.

At the moment I put the file on the main hard disk, the upgrade started and went to the end properly.

Sébastien

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be misreading your upgrade steps, but rather than importing the old catalog (6.x) into the new (10.4) you should be 'updating' the old. With Lightroom Classic installed just double-mouse-click on the old 6.x catalog (file ending in lrcat). This should start the catalog upgrade process and eventually open your old catalog into 10.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import my LRC6 catalog in a new LRC10.4 catalog, LRC says it is too old.

What is the exact word-for-word error message?

Generally there is no need to Import old catalogs, you just open them, tell LrC to upgrade the catalog, and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your answers !

Here is the error pop-up window I can read.

Both of your suggetions go to the same issue. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't read French. And the translator will not translate images. Personally, I only understand and read English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I translate :

The fist capture indicates what you tell me. It will copy the initial file and update it with the same name plus v10.

The second capture says : "lightroom encountered issues updating the catalog file format. This catalog cannot be used in this version of Lightroom." It appears after beginning the upgrading process.

So what can you suggest me doc' ? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really have Lightroom 10 installed? Or is it some other version. Go to Help->System Info and report the numbers next to Lightroom Classic version. (DO NOT  copy and paste the entire Help->System Info contents)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us (including me) will not download files such as your screen captures. Please include the screen captures in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't necessary to "successively" upgrade catalogs. The message should have prompted you to allow LrC to upgrade the catalog, and all that is necessary is for you to allow that to happen. The process creates a new copy of the catalog that is compatible with LrC, leaving the old catalog intact. The new catalog will have the same name except it will have a 10 appended to its name. After that new catalog is created LrC will start, and you should be able to continue working where you left off previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a lot of pain, translation, sort of, first screenshot text, header, body, and buttons:

impossible de mettre a niveau le catalogue

unsble to upgrade catalog 

lightroom a rencontré des problèmes lors de la mise a jour de format de fichier de catalog. Ce catalogue ne puet plus etre utilise dans cetta version de Lightroom

lightroom encountered issues updating catalog file format. This catalog can no longer be used in this version of Lightroom.

reportez-vous a la documentation technique d'Adobe

refer to Adobe technical documentation

afficher dans I'Explorateur

Display in Explorer

selectionner un autre catalogue

Select another catalog

Fermer

to close

Sounds a lot like:

GoldingD_0-1629825680546.jpeg

But with LrC icon instead of Lr icon.

Second screenshot is clearly like:

GoldingD_1-1629825876773.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second screenshot, bottom right button. What happens when you click it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed LrC v10.4 did you let the install process to remove v6?

Is v6 still installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to destroy my v6 version which is the only version that works... so I keep both of them.

Creative Cloud seem to know how to manage both of these versions but you suggest to quite with the v6 to allow the v10 to be more able to upgrade.

Is that right ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Lr 6 installed will not prevent 10.4 working nor will it be reason that can't upgrade your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That first screenshot, was that while running Lr 6? or LrC 10?

Implication of the error is you attempted to use Lr6 to open a Lr 10 catalog.

But it is odd that the icon upper left is LrC as opposed to Lr if that was the case.

Some have kept Lr6 without issue as to be able to create presets for non v10 friends.

very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you will have to quit  ( close i.e. Closed ) Lightroom 6 to allow Lightroom Clyassic 10.4 to access the Catalog from Lr 6.

When Lr 6 is open it will create a Lock file that will prevent another version of Lightroom opening the Catalog.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An experiment.

Close Lightroom

Bring up Windows File Explorer

navigate to your catalog, one that works. double click on the catalog.

What version of Lightroom Classic shows up?

Do you get the screen asking to upgrade the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An experiment.

Close Lightroom

Bring up Windows File Explorer

navigate to your catalog, one that works. double click on the catalog.

What version of Lightroom Classic shows up?

Do you get the screen asking to upgrade the catalog?

By @GoldingD

I think this is a great idea, and it is the first suggestion I have seen (or thought of myself) that could actually explain the symptoms described by the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In direct answer to your question: "Where can I download the oldest LRC7 to try to upgrade successivly the catalog ?"

Versions 7.x are no longer available for download. When you look at the Creative Cloud Desktop App 'Other Versions' setting on the Lightroom Classic button it will show you all available versions.  Versions not listed are not available for download and installation.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk !

Indeed, I saw all these versions. The lowest is the 8.

Whatever the version I use, when I call the catalog file, the final window of this upgrade process ends to "not possible".

I am disappointed. :--(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consdidering the hundreds of thousands of successfully upgraded catalogs, I am guessing there is a problem with your particular catalog. Have you tried restoring a backup instead? 

Alternately, you can contact support and have them repair your catalog for you and see if the repaired version will upgrade. 

In any case, I don't think access to LrC 7.x would make a difference here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rickk !

You must be right, there must be a problem with my particular LRC6 catalog. I created one basic and LRC10.4 upgrarded it easly.

I ask myself :

1. if the size of the catalog could generate a too much difficulty to upgrade it. Mine is 55 000 pictures. It sounds like huge but I am sure others photographers have much more pictures in their catalog.

2. if optimising serveral time the catalog in LRC6 could make it cleaner to upgrade.

What I could also try is to export all settings in a clean newly created LRC10.4 catalog. I am not sure it is possible and the royal way to upgrade... 😕

What is your suggestion about those questions ?

Sébastien FAUVEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

55,000 Images is not a very large catalog.  I don't think that is an issue. 

You could attempt a single optimization in Lr6 and attempt the upgrade. If that fails, I would recommend getting your catalog to support for a repair. Or, use a backup instead and see if it will upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I contacted the support.

I had a french technician support (level 1) who gave the "hot potatoes" (it's a french to english translation quite understandable - :-D) to the second level and the english technician told me the senior team will contact me under 24-48h.

Let's see.

Do you care to have some feedback or not ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody !

You know what, the problem was obvious but I needed to answer question from Senior support to make it fresh in my head (do we say that in proper English ?) !

The ircat was on a sdxc extern card. Lightroom don't like it.

At the moment I put the file on the main hard disk, the upgrade started and went to the end properly.

Sébastien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines