• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade Lightroom 6.14 to Classic - AND MacOS 10.14 to Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running Lightroom 6.14 on Mac OS 10.14.  I want to upgrade to Lightroom Classic and to Mac OS 11.2

I have read advice to NOT install Big Sur on a Mac running Lightroom 6.14 due to crashes and inability to use Lightroom.  But is there a correct sequence for upgrading Lightroom prior to installing Big Sur?

• Should Lightroom 6.14 be uninstalled before the OS upgrade?  Would that cause loss of any data or edits?
  • Should Lightroom Classic be installed first thing, then upgrade the OS?
  • Any other ideas?

Your help is appreciated.

Ron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13" - Late 2012 -  2.5 GHz Intel Core 5 - 8 GB memory and 256 GB solid state drive.

Thanks,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the age and configuration of your MacBook Pro I would recommend against upgrading to Big Sur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install LR Classic 10, it will automatically find and convert the LR 6 catalog to LR 10 format (leaving the original LR 6 catalog untouched).  It doesn't need LR 6 installed and running to do that, so you could update to Mac OS 11 first and then install LR 10. 

However, I suggest you install LR 10 on your current Mac OS 10.14 to make sure it will run well on your older hardware, and only then if it runs well, update to Mac OS 11.  That way, if LR 10 doesn't run well, you'll still have LR 6 running well.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac of the same age and am running LR 6.14 under 10.14 (Mojave) just like Ron. According to Apple, Big Sur is only compatible with Macs of 2014 and younger so it will not run on your machine. The best you can do is upgrade the OS to Catalina and then try upgrading LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should Lightroom 6.14 be uninstalled before the OS upgrade?

It doesn't matter.

Should Lightroom Classic be installed first thing, then upgrade the OS?

It doesn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige  said

"Should Lightroom 6.14 be uninstalled before the OS upgrade?

It doesn't matter."

I think it does matter.  The Lr6 installer will not work on newer Mac OS's so I assume the uninstaller, if there is one, might not work either so it would be best to uninstall Lr6 before the upgrade to a new OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige  said

"Should Lightroom 6.14 be uninstalled before the OS upgrade?

It doesn't matter."

I think it does matter.  The Lr6 installer will not work on newer Mac OS's so I assume the uninstaller, if there is one, might not work either so it would be best to uninstall Lr6 before the upgrade to a new OS. 

By @Bob Somrak

But the OP is going to use Lightroom Classic from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige 

That is Correct for most scenarios but the 10.14 to 10.15 or 11 upgrade is a special casee.  Why would you want to leave Lr 6 on the machine if you can't run the uninstaller after.  The simple and logical solution is to run the uninstaller before the update.  On a Mac you can drag the Lr6 folder  to the trash but maybe the uninstall program (that might not work on the OS upgrade) will also remove the stuff from the library and other places.  The uninstall should be run first in this specific case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, that makes sense to me.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

What started this is I always like to run the latest OS on my mac.  It's been a great machine, but as stated above (I just learned from an Apple support page) Big Sur will not run on - or at least is not recommended for my MacBook Pro Retina 13", late 2012.  Although I can't upgrade the OS to Big Sur, it does appear that Catalina 10.15 is compatible with my machine. 

• Is there any problem with Catalina plus Lightroom Classic (computer-based images) on my machine?  Anyone have first-hand experience?
  • Is Catalina significantly improved vs 10.14? 
  • Seems like I read something warning about the Catalina + Lightroom Classic (10).  But maybe not.
  • I'd wanted to not start a subscription model, but after studying the alternatives, have decided to stick with Lightroom due to familiarity, editing features, and loss of certain functions such as keywords and albums, among other things, in the alternatives.
  • I am not a professional - simply a hobbyist with a lot of images that are special to me.

Thanks again,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been running LrC 10.1.1 on Catalina 10.15.7 for quite awhile.  It work fine!!  You will be very happy with the additions since Lightroom 6.   BTW, with the subscription you also get the FULL Photoshop which I think you will find useful and fun as a hobbyist.  Make sure you download Lightroom CLASSIC and not Lightroom if you want it to operate like Lightroom 6.  .  Adobe has made a mess of the Lightroom naming conventions, not once but a couple times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines