• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgraded to Lightroom Classic Captions Misaligned

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says just updated from Lightroom Classic 10.4 to Lightroom Classic 11 and whilst the text is correct in the Caption box the spacing has changed.

Any ideas how to get it back to how it was?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't noticed any changes to the Caption text box.

Can you post a screenshot?

Please do not attach the screenshot, but use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your swift reply

This is how my captions were in Lightroom 10.4

beecherb78637377_2-1636636872433.png

And this is how they are since the upgrade to Lightroom 11

beecherb78637377_1-1636636720704.png

Not sure what to do here so any help would be much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My captions aren't behaving like that with LrC 11 on Windows 10.

But see something similar if I paste text that has been created in a text editor, pressing the Tab key after every word.

Have you done something like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to duplicate this issue either. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No all entries have been in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have manually corrected a few of the captions and closing and opening Lightroom hasn't caused any problems with the captions being as they should, so it looks to me if something went awry in the upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the newline characters in the Caption got mishandled somewhere along the way. 

I tried making a test catalog in LR 10.4 with captions containing newlines, entered four ways: the Metadata panel Large Caption, Notepad, Ctrl + J, Ctrl + Enter/Return. When I converted the catalog to LR 11, the captions all displayed correctly.

But let's determine the current contents of one of the fields that you haven't corrected -- that could give clues as to what went wrong:

1. Download and unzip the free Show Catalog Metadata plugin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxljket1zpymase/showmetadata.1.4.zip?dl=0 

2. Do File > Plug-in Manager, click Add, navigate to the folder where you unzipped the plugin, and select "showmetadata.lrplugin". 

3. Select the photo with the currently bad capation and do File > Plug-in Metadata Extras > Show Catalog Metadata > Show.

4. Copy/paste here the contents of the window that pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately whilst trying to install this plugin I'm getting an error messsage and it won't install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you extract "showmetadata.lrplugin" to your Desktop or Documents folder and select that, rather than the .zip file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to the same post at Lightroom Forums (https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/caption-problem-lrc11.44099/), the problem appears to be that the OP's column width is now different. The original line spacing was apparently created by simply using spaces, so any subsequent change in the width of the caption box will mess up the original alignment. The OP has been advised to use carriage return in order to create a new line, not padding with spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the width of your right side panels is a bit larger in the second screen shot, and it looks like you used spaces to make the caption take up three rows (in appearance), to create line breaks. The second screen shot being wider provides just enough room for the spaces to show.

and to insert line breaks: 

https://jkost.com/blog/2011/10/lr3-multi-line-captions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines