Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Jpegs LR still changes display after loading

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using camera jpegs (not raw) and need LR only for minor adjustments. However LR still makes some auto-adjustment when loading the picture. I know it does that with Raw files which makes sense but I wouldn't expect any processing when using Jpegs.

I thought that might have to do with colour profiles but I haven't done anything fancy there, my jpegs have a classic sRGB profile, I didn't calibrate my screen or anything, just using default settings across the board.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance). Any better?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was set to Auto so I tried deactivating but it doesn't have any impact on my issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you applying a preset at Import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I always deactivate those by default. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No I always deactivate those by default. Thanks,

By @benjaminh44815650

Please check and double-check to make sure that you are not applying a preset at import. Sometimes, people accidentally click the mouse in the wrong spot and this has consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the appearance of jpegs changes it's usually because of a preset applied on import or defaults defined for your camera. The latter is only true for older versions of Lightroom. Newer versions only do defaults or auto tone on import for raw files, not for jpegs. Check what happens when you reset the develop settings on the jpeg file. If it changes, something was applying settings. If nothing changes, the very likely culprit is a bad monitor profile. This is common on windows machines and will change the color appearance of images inside Lightroom sometimes randomly. The typical indicator of this problem is that the normally whitish grey areas under the histogram display look non-neutral - either brown or blueish. The remedy for that is calibrating your screen  using calibration hardware, or setting your display profile in windows to sRGB (or adobeRGB if you are using a wide gamut display). Also, on windows, you have to make sure you only use color managed applications outside of Lightroom as many applications are not color managed and never show the correct color no matter if your screen is calibrated or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines