• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Photoshop to Edit Within Lightroom

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am working in Lightroom and choose to edit something in my image using Photoshop, when I complete the Photoshop edit, press Save and return to Lightroom, I get the message "The file could not be found" from Lightroom.

In the past when I did this, the PS-edited version of the file always showed up in Lightroom. Something has changed.

Can anyone tell me how to get this back?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

I think I have figured out that the problem is related to my folders, of which I have many hundreds. They are a mess. Many are greyed out in Lightroom with question marks. There is a Catalog called "Missing Photographs" with two thousand.  The problem you have been kindly helping with does not occur if I pull up one of my older photos into Lightroom. Can you guide me to resource where I could fix this whole mess? Screenshot 2023-02-14 152421.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide more information. Which versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop? Mac or Windows? Which version? What do you have selected as source when you send the image from Lightroom to Photoshop? A folder? A collection? A smart collection? Anything else that might be relevant?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more details (thank you Johan):

Latest Creative Cloud version of all apps

Windows 10

While editing an individual photo which I have imported into Lightroom Classic from a folder on my PC, I click Photo, Edit In, Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2023, edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments. The photo then opens in Photoshop, I make my edits and click Save. When I return to Lightroom the screen is grey with the message "The file could not be found."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that screen capture notice in the filmstrip, that the selected image appears to have a ! in upper right corner of the thumbnail. a bit hard to read your screen capture on this iPad, could it not be a ! mark? If so, that indicates a missing photo. A edit in Photoshop needs access to the photo.

Consider:

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that PS is saving the edit as a TIF but Lightroom cannot see TIF files?

Thanks for the insert/attachment tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, perhaps I overlooked something, was that screen capture from after the edit in PS?

Ahh, yes, I should have read twice, replied once.

If you bring up PS, does that image show up a recent edits, and can you verify file location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that screen capture was after the PS edit. But I may have muddied the waters by saying that the screen was grey. I meant the image as shown on the strip on the bottom was grey. Yes, the TIF edits are listed under Recent in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes, the TIF edits are listed under Recent in PS."

And where does PS state they are located?

Then in Windows File Explorer, find them to verify that.

Then in LrC, in the Library module, in the Folders panel, select the correct folder, and see if they are listed. Perhaps still gray and with the ! mark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS shows them located in the correct folder that the original image from Lightroom is in. Windows Explorer shows them in that same folder. Lightroom Library shows nothing in that folder but original images, not the PS TIF edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, In the folders panel, expand that to see more (if required) and/or scroll up/down. Look for any duplicate folders and/or volumes. This can occur when things go wrong. It could be that a duplicate folder will show the missing photos and probably not the non missing photos.

If so, a possible fix exists, but you might want to make sure you have a backup first.

Incidentally, following is one possibility:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally discovered that if I exit the Develop Module, go to the Library Module, click on Library, Synchronize Folder, then it brings in the TIF file that I just created in PS. I can then select it and go back to the Develop Module to continue my work in Lightroom. A lot of extra steps that in the past was automatic. I wonder why?Screenshot 2023-02-14 091920.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronizing shouldn't be necessary.
Follow these steps in this order to correct:

1.  Reset Photoshop Preferences 
  2.  Reset Lightroom Preferences (in that order)

If that fails to restore the round trip functionality then a reinstall of Photoshop is the next step and then a reinstall of Lightroom if necessary. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anywhere to reset Lightroom preferences. But I did everything else you suggested with no change to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes. I did that, but it was a tough one to recover from! However, it did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next step after resetting preferences and clean reinstalls is to verify permissions for Lightroom and Photoshop: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have figured out that the problem is related to my folders, of which I have many hundreds. They are a mess. Many are greyed out in Lightroom with question marks. There is a Catalog called "Missing Photographs" with two thousand.  The problem you have been kindly helping with does not occur if I pull up one of my older photos into Lightroom. Can you guide me to resource where I could fix this whole mess? Screenshot 2023-02-14 152421.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I think I have figured out that the problem is related to my folders, of which I have many hundreds. They are a mess. Many are greyed out in Lightroom with question marks. There is a Catalog called "Missing Photographs" with two thousand.  The problem you have been kindly helping with does not occur if I pull up one of my older photos into Lightroom. Can you guide me to resource where I could fix this whole'

Sure,  in a link previously given, here it is again (no biggie)

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

You may want to start with Part 2, Updating Folder Location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, some members absolutely detest attachments. At least one member cannot open up these attachments. Instead please use the Insert Photo button. A picture actually in a reply as opposed to a attachment can be more efficient.

InsertPhotoNotAttach.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. The order is what is very important here.
Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that (thank you very much) and the nature of the problem changed. Now when I return to Lightroom after completing the PS edit, I get the message "No photo selected." When I use Windows to search in the folder where PS has saved the new .TIF copy of the image, it is there. But Lightroom does not "see" it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that (thank you very much) and the nature of the problem changed. Now when I return to Lightroom after completing the PS edit, I get the message "No photo selected." When I use Windows to search in the folder where PS has saved the new .TIF copy of the image, it is there. But Lightroom does not "see" it.

By @thomasf99553506

I believe the explanation is as follows. In the filmstrip you can see that you are in the 'Previous Imports' special collection. That is not a folder but a special collection listing the images of your last import. If you send an image from that collection to Photoshop, and you select an option that creates a new image (and that is what you do when you select 'Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments'), then the returned image will not return into that collection because it is not one of the images you imported. That is why Lightroom can't show it as long as you are still in this special collection, and so it says that no image is selected. It should show the image if you go to 'All Photographs'. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines