• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Previous Button with custom lens profile mode

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this seems to be a very specific problem but it has disrupted my workflow with lens profiles in LR Classic for years. As far as I can see, nobody else has reported it so far, so I'll try to explain it myself.

I use the lens corrections in LR with almost all my images (mostly weddings). On import, I often already apply them in "Default" or "Auto" mode. When editing through the images I like to make corrections to this tab, for example the Vignetting or Distortion amount. When I do this, LR automatically switches from Default or Auto to Custom mode. 

Now in the common case that I transfer my adjustments to the next image using the previous button and this image is shot with a different lens, LR synchronizes not only my adjustments but also the custom mode. This makes sense, so far so good. 

The problem occurs when I now try to make adjustments after I correct the profile so that the right lens is identified. First, when switching to Default or Auto after using the previous button to identify the correct lens the custom adjustments for vignetting and distortion are reset automatically. But when I adjust these these sliders again, LR again switches back to the wrong lens (from the previous picture). It seems to remember the custom values pasted from the previous image even after identifying the correct one. 

There is a workaround by selecting the manufacturer and lens manually in the list instead of switching the mode but with several hundred images this is very time consuming. I would like to use the auto mode in LR and then to be able to make my adjustments of vignetting and distortion.

These are the steps to recreate the problem:
1. Edit image1 taken with lens1 in LR, lens corrections turned on, mode "Default" or "Auto"
2. Make adjustments to vignetting and distortion amount (LR switches to "custom" mode automatically
3. Transfer all the adjustments to image2 taken with lens2 (different lens) with previous button -> selected lens in correction tab doesn't match the lens used
4. Manually change mode to "Default" or "Auto" -> Correct lens is identified (lens2) and vignetting and distortion amount reset to 0
5. Adjust vignetting and distortion amount using the sliders -> lens profile switches back to previously pasted profile for lens1 (wrong lens) by itself which makes no sense.

I hope that my text is not too complicated, if you have any questions I'm happy to help. 

Thanks

Current appearance: 

MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max

MacOS 12.0.1

Lightroom Classic 11.0.1

Already seen in several previous versions and other Macs

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use the Lens Corrections> Manual tab Distortion and Vignetting controls. Actually, I'm not sure why you need to change the Distorion settings at all. For Vignetting you could also use the Effects panel Post-Crop Vigneting. None of these require changing the Lens Profile Default settings. Please describe in detail. what you're trying to do and we can provide more specific suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your quick reply and your offer to help, Todd. As I do understand your suggestion to rethink my approach to edit (easier to switch tools than to have them fixed), could we please just focus on my issue with the lens profile tab? I’ve been using Lightroom since version 1.0 and know about the other possibilities to control distortion and vignette manually very well but I do have my reasons to use the sliders below in the profile tab instead of the other tools. I would gladly describe these reasons here in detail but I really don’t want this to turn into a discussion about my workflow. Adobe developers have put these amount sliders in the profile tab for some good reason so why should I not use them if they work best for what I do?

As you can see in the video I attached changing the amount how much of the profile is applied also changes the lens profile itself. I’m quite sure this is not how it is intended to be and I’d be really happy if somebody could have a look into it and some day hopefully resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines