• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using PSE Organizer

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PSE since 2007 and really enjoy to filing system/organization.  I recently swithched to Lightroom Classic for the broader editing features.  I keep all my imagesm on a 5TB external, so room is not an issue.  I am thinking of continuing to take my SD cards used on trips and upload to my "P" Drive using a temporary folder and from there review my imaages and decide on the final folders for selected images. Say I am in Antarctica and make a stop each day on a different island or floe.  I upload my images in a generic Folder and then create new Folders for each day's shoot - NO EDITING of images for quality just subject.

Then I would upload to Lightroom Classic using the Drive and new folder for the Upload and then move the entire folder to the workspace for processing/editing the image in Lightroom.  After the editing I generally delete the rejects and upload my keepers to Flickr Albums.

Am I missing something that would make my workflow FAIL - time is not a factor as this is my retirement hobby 🙂  -  I do not do this as a profession and focus on TRAVEL, WILDLIFE, NATURE, in general - no weddings etc.  Your thoughts.

H Barrison

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be well for you to fully grasp how Lightroom works and consider modifying your workflow. You need to remember that Lightroom doesn't modify the image. All the adjustments that you make using Lightroom are stored in the catalog, the image itself is left unchanged in its pristine state when it was first imported. Consequently, in my opinion it would be a better idea for you to import them where you want to be initially and simply leave them there. After you have edited them to look the way you want them to look, I would suggest that you then export copies. And those copies are what you would upload to Flickr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quoting the excellent advice from @JP Hess 

Consequently, in my opinion it would be a better idea for you to import them where you want to be initially and simply leave them there.

Yes, the philosophy is to put the photos directly from the camera into whatever final folder they should be in, and don't move them again*. Anything else, moving photos from here to there, is extra unnecessary work that provides no benefit. In Lightroom Classic, you can tell the un-edited photos via badges on the photo, the particular badge that indicates if the photo has been edited is the +/- badge. So no need for an "unedited" starting location. Organize via keywords and other metadata. Search by keywords and other metadata.

* — there is an exception to "never move them again". If you have to move the photos to a new disk, or new computer, then you move them, but you keep the folder hierarchy unchanged in this exception.

Also, another possibility for workflow is the smart collection workflow (or some variation of it) from John Beardsworth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the catalog concept as I have been using PSE sine 2007.  Note the last sentence of my 1st Paragraph  -  Say I am in Antarctica and make a stop each day on a different island or floe. I upload my images into a generic Folder and then create new Folders for each day's shoot - NO EDITING of images for quality just subject [via placement in a new folder] 

Actually, my first import of images to Lightroom was about 35000 images that were edited significantly in PSE over the years and the previews are great and sharp.  Perhaps it is because I only use JPEG - I have never used RAW or will I.

H Barrison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't matter whether you use raw or JPEG. Lightroom doesn't modify the images that you import. You have to export copies from Lightroom to have images that include the changes made in Lightroom. Perhaps you had best continue using Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines