• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ventura LRC Lightroom Classic stuck at Reading Preferences. BeachBall, hung will not open. - Detail

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Lightroom classic stuck at  Reading Preferences. BeachBall, hung will not open.

I have scoured the Internet and this forum and found no solution to the  problem.

So, I decided to post my experience with detailed notes.

MacBook Pro 16” 2019

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

8TB SSD with 3.45TB available

13.2.1 (22D68)

I did the following:

A. Deleted /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

Rebooted

Started LRC 

BeachBall

B. After deleting /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist , restarted computer, then relaunch Lightroom Classic while holding the shift + option. In the dialog, select Reset Preferences

BeachBall unable to select anything 

C.  Deleted /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

Rebooted

Started LRC + opt to select a different catalog 

Chooser opened

BeachBall

D1. Removed Lightroom Classic using Creative Cloud

Rebooted

Installed via Creative Cloud

Started

BeachBall

D2. Removed Lightroom Classic via uninstall Uninstall Adobe Lightroom Classic in Lightroom application folder.

Rebooted

Installed via Creative Cloud

Started

BeachBall

***E. After  Deleted /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

Rebooted

Started LRC

Beachball

I thought perhaps there is a permission issue with the plist file. 

Opened Get Info:

Myself: Privilege was read + write

everyone: was read (oddly) first and only time seeing that going forward. (In other attempts after starting LRC the permission was already set to no access)

Changed everyone to read + write

Started LRC via shortcut

Opened with my main catalog (checked the perm again and it was set to no access)

Was able to access all and walked away for an hour or so. When I returned it was no longer running and when I started again….BeachBall

E. Created a new account with admin privileges . 

Logged in to that account

Lightroom Classic started

At this point I proved to myself it’s not a global LR classic issue.

F. Back to main account and  tried A & B again because now im making myself a little crazy….hence I make this post hoping someone can help. 

Regards,

iso62 - DS

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--- also meant to add. I rebooted after doing a fresh install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your LrC is v12.1.1 try rolling it back to v12.1

See if your problem relates to this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-no-photos-in-selected-folder-mac/idc-p/13709...

note that your attached error screen will not open (or I gave up on waiting for it to load)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back incredmentally with reboots to 12.0 and same issue, beachball

FYI - I let it sit maybe 3 min before doing a force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed!!!

After I tried GoldingD's suggestion I upgraded from 12.0 to current.

As I mentioned in E. LRC worked for a moment. I looked further into the plist perm. IT didnt make sense.

Changed via terminal com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist from 600 to 777 (read + write for user to world access)

LRC started with no issues.

However, it changed itself back to 600 after launching.

The new catalog loaded. Selected Open Catalog for my catalog and was successful launching it.

Optimized the Catalog and after it automatically relaunches LRC. No issues.

Waited then exited LRC.

Started LRC

No issues!

Thanks for reading...

iso62 - DS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purpose of deleting or renaming that plist file is to have LrC create a fresh new one upon restart of LrC. Concept being the plist file was corrupt.

I alwas forget about that fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you do that? what did you write in the terminal? and where did you find the "com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist" file?

Sorry its a lot of questions, this happening to me as well and its really frustrating 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So here's the tough part. Since it doesn't crash as a new user, there is a conflict with something in the original (Admin?) user that is making it crash. The hard part is figuring out what that is. The first task is to disable all auto log in items in Users and Groups>Login Items in your System preferences (System Settings in Ventura). You can make a screen capture or jot down what each item is, disable, restart and try again. If it doesn't crash, you can add one or more items, restart and try again. At some point, you may find which item is at issue. It isn't easy but that's really the fix unless you do a clean install of the OS which might be more work. 
The bottom line is, that something in your user account is conflicting with the Adobe software. Gotta find out what that item is. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines