• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Videos in Lightroom Classic lost metadata after upgrade to 13.2

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always experienced videos losing their capture date and title when importing into Lightroom Classic and usually have to individually change them which isn't too much of a problem when there are just a few of them and I remember to do it. It does not happen with photos. Recently however I upgraded to 13.2 and to my horror over 1100 videos lost metadata. At least half lost their titles and more or less all of them lost their capture date. I had to go through them all individually and I certainly do not want to ever go through this time-wasting exercise again. Does anyone know why this happens and how to stop it happening again? I also use Lightroom CC but do not sync one to the other. So am wondering whether this also a problem with CC? Any help gratefully received. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading a catalog should not cause videos to lose any metadata, and I have never experienced anything like that myself. This sounds like perhaps at some stage you used 'Read Metadata from Files', although that should still not cause you to lose capture dates (they will fall back to the old capture date if you changed the dates in Lightroom, however).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I wouldn't even have known about "Read Metadata from Files". Too advanced for me I'm afraid.  And yes I did change the dates within Lightroom. Are you saying that they will revert to their original import date whatever I do and when there is another upgrade? I now recall that I had a similar problem several years ago when, as a result of a support call, a new catalog was created. It took ages to put things right.

My photos came originally from Apple photos which I then exported and imported into Lightroom. None of this happens with Apple Photos but I prefer to use Lightroom Classic because of the way in which it stores the photos on my hard drive.

I have just tried exporting two completely unmodified original videos from 27th February in Apple photos. When imported into Lightroom they came in with today's date and lost their titles. What do you think is the best way for me going forward to make sure I don't have this problem again? Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I wouldn't even have known about "Read Metadata from Files". Too advanced for me I'm afraid.  And yes I did change the dates within Lightroom. Are you saying that they will revert to their original import date whatever I do and when there is another upgrade?

By @anng17747324

No, I am saying the opposite. An upgrade should not change the capture date or make you lose any other metadata. What you do have to understand however is that these metadata, including the updated capture date, are stored in the catalog, not in the video files. So if you start to do things like importing the original videos again for some reason, then you will lose those metadata. 'Read Metadata from Files' replaces the catalog metadata by the original metadata from the file, so that too will make the capture date fall back to the original date and make you lose added metadata like titles.

Titles you add in Apple Photos won't come over to Lightroom if you export as unmodified original. The capture date should stay the same, but there are known problems with the poor video standards for the capture date, so that could explain why importing videos from Apple Photos into Lightroom Classic may give unexpected results for the capture date.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate it. What I don't understand is that all of the 1100 videos were within the catalog already. I simply pressed the button to upgrade the software. I wouldn't even know how to change the catalog and it was the same catalog which was set up several years ago during a support call several years ago. I did not import any new videos I just changed the dates which were previously correct and added the titles within Lightroom Classic. All the photos actually reside in one folder on my Macbook. The other strange thing was that about 25% of them were ok after the upgrade and had not lost metadata - the whole thing seemed to be random. Do you think they should be fixed now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I cannot draw any conclusion from what you say. Like I said, upgrading a catalog should do nothing to capture dates or titles, so I simply do not know what went wrong in your case and why.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any rational reason either since I have been working
within this same catalog since 2020. It just seems so random so I am now
pretty worried about the next upgrade.

Going forward, is there any way in which photos from my phone can
automatically into Lightroom CC on my Macbook in the same way as they do in
Apple Photos? I never have the date problem with Apple or for that matter
with Google photos except that they flow into my online Google photos
rather than the computer. I do not do anything with the Google photos but
it is extremely useful when capture dates go wrong in Lightroom. Surely
Adobe can sort this out?

Many thanks
Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install Lightroom on your phone, then you can either use the built-in camera app in Lightroom to make photos, or setup Lightroom so it automatically imports all photos from Photos. Then, if you enable sync in your Lightroom Classic catalog, all those photos will automatically be downloaded by Lightroom Classic. In Preferences - Lightroom Sync you can specify where the downloaded photos will be stored and if you want Lightroom Classic to create a dated subfolder hierarchy.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this. I'm grateful for your help. I did try your suggestion and the photos arrived on my Macbook but the app within Lightroom on my phone wouldn't do video so had to revert to Apple photos as my primary source.

Having had to change the dates of at least half of the 1200 odd videos which had changed their time since the upgrade earlier this month, everything seemed to be ok until I changed the file name of six videos in Lightroom Classic and they immediately reverted to a date a couple of weeks later which was probably the date on which I originally imported them into Lightroom. Weirdly on the Local tab on Lightroom CC they are showing within the correct folder, also the correct date and filename but the titles which are present in Classic are absent in CC. 

I thought that the Local tab in Lightroom CC simply reflects what is on the hard drive - is that not the case? It certainly doesn't seem to be on my computer.

Having had this issue with dates ever since I started with Lightroom about 6 or 7 years ago, I really am despairing of it and I know from my internet searches that I am not alone. Apple photos seem to retain their dates whatever you do with them so I still need Apple Photos and/or the online Google library if I need to check on the date of a photo which is a shame. 

Moving forward - how can I avoid this happening with the next upgrade? It wasn't just the videos that I had a problem, I had to "find" several thousand photos which were in their correct folder but had to be reimported as the program reported them as missing. Would I have been better off somehow ensuring that the program used a backup - I always do a backup every time I exit Lightroom Classic.

I would have gone for a support call but the last one in 2020 resulted in many days of chaos when they took over my computer and set up a new Catalog. Many thanks again Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hardly ever shoot movies with my iPhone, but if I do, I use a separate free app from Blackmagic, or an app called '4K Recoder'. I import these videos by connecting the phone to my computer, not by syncing. I don't remember if I need to correct the capture time or not (there are known problems with wrong video capture times, due to poor standards). If that is needed, then changing the time to the File Creation Data is the easiest method to fix the time.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies everyone. It seems That I just have to keep fingers crossed that, having corrected all the metadata, that it will remain stable. This is really important for me. So can anyone tell me how to ensure that when the software upgrades next time that the metadata remains stable as I don't want to have to do this again. When I opened the program after the upgrade I discovered so many thousands of photos "lost". They were actually all in the correct folders on the Macbook, I had to synchronise many folders to "find" them again. Plus of course as I said previously 500 of the 1000 odd videos had lost their titles and metadata changed. Would I have been better to have opened a previous backup?  Can anyone explain that? Many thanks. Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use Synchronize Folder if Lightroom Classic has lost folders!!! This explains your metadata issue. The correct way to solve a 'missing folder' issue is described here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you SO much. The whole thing seemed completely random. All my photos are in sub-folders in one big main folder - all very neat and tidy but I vaguely remember having a big reorganisation about 18th months ago so maybe that was the reason. All the photos that I synchronised recently were in the correct folder on the Macbook - I didn't have to move any of them but it sounds as though Lightroom thought they were somewhere else. In which case why did it only come to light with the upgrade? I am self taught with Lightroom but could probably do with some sort of course on this sort of thing. Is there any sort of structured online course. Thank you Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines