Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Videos won't import, previously imported videos won't play

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Lightroom CC Classic 8.1 release (build 1200465) - latest

On Windows 10, European 'N' addition -> meaning it excludes certain bundled multimedia functionality, including media players and related components. So I DO NOT have Window Media Player. I'm using VLC for all my media playback.

Fairly new clean OS install. Using a previously created Lightroom catalog. Previously import .mp4 videos (that used to work before the fresh system install) aren't working anymore. If I try and open them I see "there was a problem working with the video"

Furthermore, I can't even import new .mp4 video files. I get "An unknown error occurred while reading the video file"

I tried purging video cache, tried creating a new catalog, tried turning off 'use graphic processor'. Nothing helps.

I have a hunch this issue is because I'm using VLC?

Found something related: Solving Lightroom’s “There is a problem with the video file” Error | Lightroom Fanatic -> see very last post in the thread by 'Cass', specifically:

"I also noted that the video files I had problems with (MOV and AVI files) were associated with VLC media player. So, I did the following: –

1. Rebooted machine
2. Set default program for MOV to Quicktime
3. Set default program for AVI to Windows Media Player, which was run first time
4. Launched LR, initially clicked off ‘Limit video cache size’, clicked back on, hit purge cache
5. Cache was purged within 5 seconds
6. Attempted to import all video files that previously had not imported
7. All previewed and were imported completely fine"

Installing Windows Media Player is NOT an option for me. Is this a Lightroom bug? Any suggested fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any insight on this one? This is really a huge problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you generating the video file?

Reading from your post above and into the thread link provided I'd say the video cache clearance might be part of the picture.

Does LR hang when you action the Purge Cache button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video file is a direct import from my Camera (Fuji XT1) or my phone (Google Pixel 3). Neither works.

I tried to purge cache, Lightroom seems to successfully do that after a few seconds, but I'm still not able to view videos. I get an image preview of the video but the play button doesn't work -> I get an error saying "There was an error working with the video"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a tough question to solve but this may help

Link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines