I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the LR forum so that proper help can be offered.
Thank you kindly. 🙂
Virtual Copies by design share the same Keywords as the 'original'. Is that what you're referring to?
Thank you for your reply.
I wanted the keywords duplicated in the virtual copies. That is SO so helpful - but wasn't the problem. The problem was that my keyword set started to look like a Mandelbrot Set with new sets of keywords being duplicated in forever enlarging keyword heirarchies - apparently at random anywhere within my keyword list. I work with a maximum of 3 dropdowns on any one keyword.
Many thanks again for your help.
The Keywording panel is very tiny on the full screen captures you attached, so to try and understand the problem better I cropped them down to the Keywording panels and combined them below. So the problem is that not only are keywords duplicated, but there is also new content in the Keywords panel, along with characters like < and > ? Is that what you mean?
That is definitely unexpected. As said earlier, at the time a virtual copy is created, its metadata should be identical to the original.
What will help troubleshoot is to see what’s in the current Keyword Set or the Metadata panel; in your screen shots they are both closed. If those were opened, we might be able to see where those new keywords are coming from. Can you post a screen shot of those panels expanded? Also when adding an image to a post, it’s better to use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar instead of attaching them to the post, because Insert Photos shows images inline in the post, like you see in this post.
One theory: Maybe the current Keyword Set has entries such as "bodyboard < watersports < > SPORTS". Each entry in a Keyword Set has an Option+number shortcut, so if at some point you pressed the Option key with a number, that keyword would be entered. But we can’t know if that happened until we can see what keywords are in the current Keyword Set.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes to the first paragraph. New keyword heirarchies were also being included at what appeared to be random (multiple) places within the keyword list. This meant every time that I duplicated an image I'd have to go through the keyword list and hunt down the newly added folder structure (sometimes several folders) and then delete them all. The issue was compounded further if I missed the deletion of an inappropriate addition to the keyword list. In a quasi-exponential manner.
Fortunately [unfortunately in terms of actually understanding what has happened] I no longer appear to have this problem. I'm pretty sure that I did something that resolved the issue, but I'm not quite sure what that was. I did delete any keyword from the keyword list that featured a "<" or ">" and I'm not sure that the problem continued after this. The matter of coming to a [scientific] conclusion is complicated by me continuing to edit photos at the same time as trying to troubleshoot the problem. I do use metadata presets and the keywords from these do get added - and still do sometimes resulting in unwanted keywords - but the [random] spawning of the keyword list with folder-like substructures has stopped. Sometimes there would be 7 or 8+ levels to delete.
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but before the issue, I was using the ">" symbol as a tag (like you would a colour marker) to try and aid quick identification of keywords.
Again, many thanks for your help.