• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for WAV Files (Voice Memos)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can I not import WAV files into Lightroom; used an Olympus OM EM1x with a Sony Tough card the files and WAV loaded onto the desktop fine but when trying with Lightroom it does not even show that the WAV file exists. Please someone help it is driving me mad!!!!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
31 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm importing GoPro footage and there is a GoPro mode that will output both a MP4 and WAV. I have two files: GX0001.MP4 and GX0001.WAV but Lightroom won't import the WAV file.

Is it possible to import audio files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Lightroom is for Photos (and limited video files) only.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak to videos as I don't capture video. That being aaid, Lightroom Classic does support and will import ".wav" files that it finds on your memory card, but only when their name matches with the photos. They should appear as sidecar files against the field name "Audio File".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My earlier post might benefit from a screesnot of the LrC Metadata panel. When audio file (WAV) is imported, press the button I've marked with blue surround line to play.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can import WAV audio files from my Canons but not from my Olympus OM EM1X;  however works perfectly on Lightroom on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import only pictures in Lightroom. Audio files like .wav and so on doesn't work in Lightroom.

wav files can only be loaded for a slideshow.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Lightroom is a photo-editing and organizing software. Besides images, it does offer some limited support for video files, but that's it.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please continue all discussion in Richard's other post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/wav-files/td-p/11966164 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been uploading images with WAV files attached in Lightroom for a number of years but all these have been taken with Canon equipment. It is only since I have purchased an Olympus OM E-M1X that I have had the problem. I know that the WAV files are on the card because I can play it when it is in the camera and also when I upload the file onto my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Richard, are you trying to import a .wav as a standalone file or as a sidecar accompanying a photo?  You can't import a .wav file standalone, but a little-known feature of LR lets you import it as a sidecar to a photo with the same base filename:

johnrellis_0-1618336093832.png

Clicking on the Audio File in the Metadata panel plays it. This is a handy feature for those diminishing number of cameras that support audio annotations.

If you're trying to import a .wav annotation from your Olympus as a sidecar, and you don't see it appearing in the Metadata panel, upload the photo and its .wav file to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We can see if it imports on other LR installations and perhaps diagnose the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried to import a standalone WAV so they are all attached to an image. When I look at the metadata having imported from the SD card/Olympus camera there is no Audio File however if I do the same thing with the CF card from the Canon the audio file shows up and when I click it it plays the recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a image with the WAV file attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I look at the metadata having imported from the SD card/Olympus camera there is no Audio File"

If you use Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to copy a photo and its .wav file from the card to your desktop, and you import the photo into LR from the desktop, does the Metadata panel show the .wav sidecar?

"This is a image with the WAV file attached"

Unfortunately, only the .jpg was attached to your post -- there was no .wav file also attached. I don't think this forum allows you to attach .wav files.  So you'll have to use Dropbox, Google Drive, or a similar service and post the public sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that I imported the card onto my desktop and then formatted the card & now unfortunately I am unable to find the import; however before I lost the import I did in fact open it and it showed all the images with the WAV audio files underneath so they were on the card and my mac was able to open the file and play the content. I will do another tomorrow for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the test shot with the WAV audio file attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an image taken on my Canon DS Mk111 with a WAV audio file attached which Lightroom is quite happy to import and play back. This is taken off a CF card whereas the cards in my Olympus are SD cards-not that that would make any difference!!!!! Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Canon sample photo also imports with the .wav into my LR, as expected.  Let's see what happens with the Olympus sample you post tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

This is the image with the WAV file attached and I sent it to you last night; the P prefix signifies that it was taken on the Olympus

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is the image with the WAV file attached and I sent it to you last night; the P prefix signifies that it was taken on the Olympus"

Nothing was attached this time :-<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, if you go back through our correspondance to the communication before the one which included the Canon image you will find the attachment that you are looking for. The number is P41334912-let me know if you are unable to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I didn't see the .wav for the P*.jpg yesterday, but I see it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

When I put P4133491.JPG/WAV on my desktop and import it into my LR 10.2 / Mac OS, it imports with the .wav sidecar correctly:

johnrellis_0-1618416575116.png

Ditto for my Windows machine.

When you put a copy of those two files on your desktop and import the .jpg, does the .wav get imported as a sidecar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Just loaded the card into the card reader and then imported off the desktop and heypresto works like a dream but why should it make a difference loading from the card in the card reader  or the card to the desktop and then into LR?

Best wishes, Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"why should it make a difference loading from the card in the card reader  or the card to the desktop and then into LR?"

I just did a test, copying your sample .jpg and .wav onto one of my SD cards.  When I import from the card by selecting it from the Devices section of the Sources panel, the .wav doesn't get imported. But when I  import from the card by selecting it from the Files section, it does get imported:

johnrellis_0-1618427614669.png

So try an import again, but make sure you're selecting the card from under the Files section, not the Devices section.

I think this is because LR uses an old industry protocol (PTP) for transferring from "devices" (card readers and USB cables connected to cameras), and that protocol (as implemented by Windows and Mac OS) doesn't support audio file sidecars.

Adobe is effectively deprecating the importing of photos via Devices -- it's slow and it has problems with capture dates. Many versions ago, LR defaulted to using the Files section for importing from cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, thank goodness you showed the image showing the files section; I have to say that I do not think that I have ever used the devices section as I was not aware that it was there. So I will probably upload them onto my desktop and then into LR. I do not suppose that the fact that there will be probably 300 images + 300 WAV files will make any difference. I will next be photographing this Sunday so hopefully you will not hear from me but if I have any problems I will get back in touch. Many thanks, Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate