Exit

Weird File Names When Saving Photoshop tp Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. 

Typically what I do is edit a phot in Lightroom, send the raw file (nef) to Photoshop for some edits and using the save in the dropdown menu, save the file back to Lightroom as a tif. Until recently the tif from Photoshop to Lightroom would be named filename-edit.tif, or something like that. A rather simeple name.

Recently, the image saved back to Lightroom from Photoshop is named bunchofnumbersfiilenamebunchofnumbersxmorenumbers.tif. The "bunch of numbers" appears to be related to the image size in pixels and perhaps some random numbners thrown in for fun..

I would like to have Photoshop save the image to filename-edit.tif. Can someone point me to some setting, presumably in Photoshop, where I can get that simple name out-put?  I am not sure what I may have changed.  

I'm using Release 11.1 (not the one that was issued in ther last 24 hours) on a Windows 10 computer.

Thank you,

Greg J

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

@Central Standard wrote:

Thank you for responding. I am not sure I have the right file naming screenshot. 

Does this view of it help you find the source of the file naming format for external editing? You get there from the Preferences dialog box, not the Import dialog box.

Lightroom-Classic-External-Editing-file-name-template.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your LrC Preferences > External Editing tab,  and show us what you have in the 'Naming' panel with a screen-clip.

2022-04-28 08_57_39-Window.jpg

And you could also 'Edit' this Template to show us the how it is designed.

2022-04-28 09_01_02-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

Thank you for responding. I am not sure I have the right file naming screenshot. 

Greg J

Screenshot 2022-04-27 191820.jpgScreenshot 2022-04-27 202038.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your External Editing 'File Naming' Template is set to [Custom Settings]  BUT What are the Custom Settings?

In a File rename templare editor- You may need to select [Edit] at the very bottom of the Template drop-down menu, design a Template and save it, (with a Template name) such as [Filename-Custom].

2022-04-28 17_14_20-Filename Template Editor.jpg

Then in the [Custom Text] field in the External Editors Preference dialog- Choose the "Filename- Custom" template, and add the suffix you want added to the files from Photoshop (eg. "Edit").

2022-04-28 17_09_29-Preferences.jpg

Specifically defining the "Template:" may be required to fix your problems with filenames.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Central Standard wrote:

Does this view of it help you find the source of the file naming format for external editing? You get there from the Preferences dialog box, not the Import dialog box.

Lightroom-Classic-External-Editing-file-name-template.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

I found the template editor and it's obvious "someone" set what the custom name is set to:

Screenshot 2022-04-28 162507.jpg

So I set the preset to standard:

Screenshot 2022-04-28 162833.jpg

I closed the program and found this did not solve the issue. I'm still getting the giant file names with the crop size part of the file name. Actually it revealed another problem.

Screenshot 2022-04-28 170211.jpg

The above is a top to bottom screen shot. I have the font size set to 150%. I suspect there is a "done" button at the very bottom of the page that accepts all changes. I can't change the font size, bit depth, saved file name, basically anything to do with preferences because I can't get to the actual bottom of the preferences page.

Do you (or anyone) have a way to fix this? I can post this as a new question if needed.

Thanks,

Greg J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have found the reason for the weird filenames- good!

You may need to change your font size to something smaller than 150% to see all the Preferences dialog.

(In Windows-10) I can move my preferences dialog window by dragging on the top margin (as is usual).

It is a smart idea to 'save' your file rename templates with a descriptive preset name. Simply changing the template in the editor is not sufficient. (Click the drop-down menu at the end of the 'Preset' box.)

2022-04-29 09_07_35-Preferences.jpg

Your screen-clip is still showing "Custom Settings" as the template (even though you may have altered it in the Template editor.)

2022-04-29 08_57_10-Re_ Weird File Names When Saving Photoshop tp Ligh... - Adobe Support Community .jpg

There is always that "someone" 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm goimg to start a new thread. Seems appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend creating a custom file name to see whether that addresses your issue. It appears to be pulling the naming convention from somewhere, which should override the problem.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines