• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what happened to the caption in metadata?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest (v11).  In the past I made heavy use of the caption field as it was the only place to put notes (that I knew of).  For my microscopy photos, I would put magnification, scale, etc -- so there was a lot there. 

Now, there is no caption field in the metadata area, and there is a 'user comment' field.  Where did all that information in the caption field go?  It didn't get copied into the user comment field.  I need to recover all this information. Now if I start using the user comment field, is that going to go away in the future too??!!

I notice that captions have been removed in CC, but I can't find any information on classic.

Thanks!

Steve

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Next to the "Metadata" title of this panel is a drop-down selector. This has probably been changed to "EXIF".

"User comment" is one of the fields shown as part of that, and this is different to and independent from Caption. Your previously entered text has not been deleted - you are just not now seeing the "Caption" field presented, which contains it.

Try making a different selection at the top of the panel - say, "Default". This will bring Caption back into display.

With so many fields availabl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next to the "Metadata" title of this panel is a drop-down selector. This has probably been changed to "EXIF".

"User comment" is one of the fields shown as part of that, and this is different to and independent from Caption. Your previously entered text has not been deleted - you are just not now seeing the "Caption" field presented, which contains it.

Try making a different selection at the top of the panel - say, "Default". This will bring Caption back into display.

With so many fields available, these different views let people work with a more manageable subset, at any given time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!  Thanks so much. I panicked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most welcome - glad it helped. Lightroom Classic does take a lot of care to protect your work, very seldom is anything destroyed unrecoverably (unless you are really quite determined)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines