• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What hardware use the new masking features from version 12 ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I think I infered from other posts that the masking feature is using the graphic card, but I can't find the info clearly written.

I have a 3700X CPU and a 3080 RTX.

I love the new masking features.

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU to a 5900x but if it's only the GPU working that would be pointless.

Can anyone confirm, maybe with a source, that the AI masking feature from version 12 are computed using the graphic card ? Or something else is happening ?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

You have not specified if the question is about Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic, or something else. Please specify.

If Lightroom Classic, please see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html and this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html in which it clearly says the GPU for the Sky, Subject and Enhance details features.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not specified if the question is about Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic, or something else. Please specify.

If Lightroom Classic, please see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html and this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html in which it clearly says the GPU for the Sky, Subject and Enhance details features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @dj_paige,

Thank you for your answer. My question was about Lightroom Classic.

I was looking into news articles, the forum and the mask help page but I wasn't able to come to your second link.

I copy paste here the info from the page "When configured (Preferences > Performance), Lightroom Classic can use a compatible graphics processor (also called a graphics card, video card, or GPU) to speed up tasks of displaying and adjusting images in the Develop module, the Library module's Grid view, Loupe view, and Filmstrip. Features like Select Subject, Select Sky, and Enhance Details are also accelerated by the GPU. Using a compatible GPU can provide significant speed improvements on high-resolution displays, such as 4K and 5K monitors."

So upgrading the CPU would not help for the speed of the subject mask option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A more advanced CPU should enhance performance of all applications on your Computer including Adobe applications.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So upgrading the CPU would not help for the speed of the subject mask option.

Honestly, reading the Adobe statement again, I now don't think this is clear at all from what Adobe wrote. They say (my emphasis) "Features like ..." so who knows what features are "likeSubject, Sky or Enhance Details?

But then I think ... did YOU make a typo? A faster CPU will almost always help with speed problems. But your previous question was about the GPU not CPU, is this a typo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right to point out the "like" so we don't have a clear idea of what is GPU accelerated or not.

I think I didn't make a typo.

To summary :

• I love the new masking feature.
  • I already have a good graphic card (RTX 3080)
  • I need a upgrade of my processor (I currently have a 3700X) 
  • I was wondering if a processor upgrade (from a 3700X to a 5900X) will accelerate this new feature or not. The answer seems to be "no" but, as @DdeGannes highlights it will help on the overall performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was wondering if a processor upgrade (from a 3700X to a 5900X) will accelerate this new feature or not. The answer seems to be "no"

Not sure why you claim the answer "seems to be no". Please explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines