• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the logic of putting a "Done" button just on the left of the "Import" button?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the logic of putting a "Done" button just beside the "Import" button?

It gets me everytime, I want to import, I select the pictures I want to import and when I'm done selecting I got this natural reflex to click on "Done" but I wanted to import...

What's the point of that button?   If I want to import you click import... if I don't want to import you click Cancel....   So why is there a "Done" button? What's the difference between that button and Cancel?   Whoever thinked this was a good idea?   I want to tell him that it is not and that it drives me crazy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  just took advantage of the “Done” button yesterday. I had reorganized my photo folders, so my existing default import preset was pointing to a folder that had moved. I did not want my next import to fail, so I opened the Import dialog box to update that preset. When I was done, I clicked Done…which was perfect.

Because if there was no Done button, I would have have only two choices: Click Cancel and lose my preset changes, or find some random image to import (and then remember to un-import it later) just so that my import preset changes would be applied.

The logic was explained in the Fixed Issues in Lightroom Classic for version 9.4:

Done option added to the Import dialog to remember updated settings without requiring an Import action.

Because it was listed under “fixed issues” it is possible that it was a user feature request that Adobe was responding to, it doesn’t go into that detail. But if it was a feature request, it would have been for the situation I explained: Wanting to increase import efficiency by editing the import presets, but having no way to apply them without a dummy import. With the Done button, there is no longer a need to set up a dummy import just to change settings.

Yes, it has confused people. But those of us who like the Done button think it was worth it. We just have to be a little more mindful now that when importing, to click the button labeled Import, because that is what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in favour of the button too but I've always thought that it should be more clearly labelled.

Something like "Save Settings".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That‘s a good point. Maybe it’s a mistake that the Done button is on the same visual level as Cancel and Import; perhaps it should be a smaller Save Settings button away from Cancel and Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>>perhaps it should be a smaller Save Settings button away from Cancel and Import.

Yes, that would make a lot of sense and perhaps make the button's function more intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! it saves you stuff... Good for you.
But for me it makes me lose stuff...

When I click it I lose:
A - the selection of files I wanted to import
B - the path to the directory.
C - the time it takes to re-find the directory and the time to re-select the files
D - my patience.

I got years of usage on Lightroom, and sometimes between two sessions of Lightroom Classic I do use Lightroom 5 on Linux (cause it's the last version that I can succesfully run on Linux, my everyday OS).
So I often switch from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom Classic, one doesn't have the Done button and the other one has so it always will be difficult for me to get used to that Done button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course. This is not really about me; you asked what the logic was and why the Done button was added, and I simply provided that.

Like I said, you are not alone, more than one person has clicked the Done button when they did not intend to. And some have complained about the lost steps when it happens. In my other reply to John (see above), I realized maybe the Done button could be presented a different way to avoid mistakes. I am not an Adobe employee, so I can’t change how Lightroom Classic works. But if you want to influence a change here, you can tell Adobe at the official Lightroom Feedback site, because Adobe does quantify responses there. It looks like there is already a discussion in progress about the Done button:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/updated-import-form/5f660910bd25500ef...

@meantux wrote:

So I often switch from Lightroom 5 to Lightroom Classic, one doesn't have the Done button and the other one has so it always will be difficult for me to get used to that Done button.

I think the mindset to use here, which I use, is: The Import button has been in every version. The position of the Import button has always been the same — it was the last button, the one at the right edge. It has not moved; it is still the last button at the right edge, so if I am still clicking there, I end up still clicking the same Import button.

Again — not saying there is no problem, but that is an approach that can be taken, in combination with posting feedback to Adobe at the above link so that they might change it. It sounds like it would be a good idea to get the Done button out of the main button group, and maybe change the name to Save Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines