• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What’s the best recommendation for getting photos off my iPhone into LrC?

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found it impossible to import directly from my iPhone to LrC. After a while it fails and the phone vanishes from the drive list. 

ive resorted to LR cloud to make sure the only copy isn't on my phone. 

searching around I see people having the same problem, and being recommended to use LR on their phone and let it sync to the cloud, then set LrC to sync those photos into LrC. 

Are there any pitfalls in this method? 

the main one I can see is that I will run out of cloud storage. I've seen indications that you can turn off the sync to the cloud which will leave the photos on my hard drive but delete them from the cloud. 

this sounds dangerous, but maybe it works fine?

anything else that has bitten people?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the approach I take and it works great. Much better than trying to directly import. If you're worried about space in the cloud, simply remove the images you no longer need in Lightroom in the cloud from the all synced images collection and they will remain in Classic but get deleted from the cloud. I also set up the location for synced images to be the same as my standard normal import scheme in Classic so that phone images get synced into the same folders as DSLR images and end up neatly sorted by date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Mobile is probably the good answer.

Since the "import" functions built into the iOS and Android phones are terrible, for what little I take photos on my Android phone, I just manually copy the new images from the phone to the computer using the computer's file browser, then import into LR Classic from the local hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turning on the sync from LrC will not add anything to the cloud. It will only download the images already in the cloud to a local drive. This is the easiest and most seamless way to move photos from a phone to your computer. I recommend setting up a custom location for the downloads. You find this option in preferences in the Sync tab. After the images are download you can delete them from the cloud. If you use Lightroom on your phone to delete the photos, they will delete from the cloud, but not LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines