Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What to do with JPG & RAW files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I need help to find an easy way to dealing with RAW+JPG files. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Here is my workflow:

1. Shoot RAW+JPG on a Canon R6. 
  2. Import photos (RAW+JPG) into Lightroom Classic.
  3. I decide which images are to be kept (white flag) and those that are to be removed. 
  4. Edit/correct the kept photos.
  5.  Delete all those photos previously selected to be removed.

I use JPGs with RAW files because the events I shoot occassionally need JPGs ASAP for social meda. For example, photos of a football game at halftime to be posted to social media, website, etc. The JPGs can be pulled right from the memory card and sent on a smartphone, etc.   I have the RAW files if I need to go "deep" on the editing. 

My question is, once I am done, for the photos I white flagged/kept, do I need to keep the JPGs and the RAW files or can I delete the JPGs and keep th RAW if I want to go back to them in the future?  I am just trying to manage hard drive space, etc.  Sure, hard drives are cheaper these days, but do I really need to take up all of this space?

Workflow suggestions are welcome!  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you import both the jpegs and raws into Lightroom?  Do you edit jpegs as well as raws in Lightroom?

At what point in your sorting workflow do you decide if you need to go deep on editing?

I don't know about Canon, but with Nikons NX editing software that comes with the camera it is possible to produce a jpeg similar to SOOC from just the raw file.  I haven't used the software in the last 5 years though.  I wonder if Canon has something similar?

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  The reason for the JPG is when I am on site at the event shooting.  For example, at a high school football game, at half time I have to provide a handful of images for local media to post to social media and new websites.  The fastest way is to use a card reader plugged into an iPhone and then take the SD card from the Canon and pull the images onto the iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a quick search I found some info on the software that should have came with your camera called 'Digital Photo Professional'.  I think if you open a canon raw file with it you will be able to export a jpeg that mimics sooc jpegs.  Make sure to verify this functionality before changing your workflow.

Although I adopted a raw file only + Lightroom workflow long ago, it was nice knowing I could export a sooc jpeg if I wanted to.  The Nikon version also shows where the focus point was so I've checked that a few times here and there.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for thr reply. I still want to edit in post in Lightroom and I still need the flexibility of JPG when at the event shooting.  When I edit in lightroom, I "go deep" after selecting/flagging the images I want to keep.  I am not sure if Lightroom is editing the RAW or the JPG. I will need to research this.  My assumption was that Lightroom defaulted to the RAW and ignored the JPG??? If that is the case, I am left with all of these JPG images that just take up space.  If I am wrong, and I delete the JPG, then I lose my edits.

Does anyone know how to determine which file Lightroom uses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has two options. It will either treat the jpeg files as sidecar files, meaning you won't see them in the catalog and you cannot delete them separatley from the raw files. Or it will treat them as separate images, so you can select the jpegs and delete them if you want to. That is a setting in Preferences - General.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand this. I found this article:  https://www.lightroompresets.com/blogs/pretty-presets-blog/7528404-how-to-handle-raw-jpeg-in-lightro... 

I do ahve "treat JPG files next to RAW files as separate photos UNCHECKED in my settings.  So, will deleting the jpg files after import and keeping the RAW files affect the edits?  My guess is that the edits won't be affected since they are stored in data files that don't actually change the original JPG/RAW file. I just want to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming "UNCHECKED", in LR you will never see the jpg files and will have to delete them in Finder/Explorer. Doing so has no effect on the adjustment data which is stored in the LR catalogue and which only displays the raw files. LR will continue to show raw+jpeg on each thumbnail, and you can update this by right clicking the folder and choosing synchronize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see several members have missed the point of your inquiry,

How long to keep JPEG files that were crested in tandem with RAW files, in camera, or if to just keep them.

Treat the JPEG as a limited copy of the RAW file. Treat the RAW file as your original negative. Do not loose the RAW file. If you are done with providing a copy's of the JPEG to clients, your call if to trash. Once you have post processed the RAW files you can quickly export to JPEG files if needed. At that point those in camera JPEG files will no longer match your post processing decisions.

One  consideration for photographers that publish to news sources, etc, do you need to keep on hand the original media provided to the client? And does the client consider the JPEG initially shared as that original, or are JPEG files treated as not original as a JPEG is by default manipulated and the RAW is the original despite what was previously shared. This point is not completely logical as the people making those decisions ate often full of it.

I hope that you keep backups of your photos. One consideration is to include those JPEG files in the backup and delete them from the working folder (if you are looking to save space in the working folder)

Not a pro, so take with a grain of salt. Maybe this reply will get those with more actual experience to respond. If other members state I am full of it, good, they would then be on point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply.  I believe you understood what I was trying to communicate the best.  I've learned that the edits are with the RAW file.  I also learned that I DID NOT have the option for my catalog checked where edits are also saved to an XML file.  A friend suggested I turn that on.  
I also learned that I don't need to shoot in JPG+RAW! I use a ligtning to SD card dongle reader for the iPhone. I never knew that the iPhone can read that raw file. So I can just do that going forward.  

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines