• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

when i re-import to LR accidentally removed (NOT deleted) raws, the XMP side car files not included

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - can anyone help with the following please?

I'm using Lightroom Classic Version 11.3.

I imported some RAWs from a folder on my macbook pro and developed/exported themas per my usual workflow.

My changes were automatically writen into accompanying XMP files which can now be seen in the folder with the RAWs.

I mistakingly removed all images from catalogue - but did NOT delete them from disk.

Easy solution, or so i thought - re-imported the folder of RAWS (and assumed accompanying XMP's?) but now in Lightroom the develop settings i used have gone - sliders all back to default. So accompanying XMP's not 're-imported'?

So my question is - how can i restore my develop adjustments to the re-imported images - how do i get the XMP info back into Lightroom and applied? Is this not possible and do i have to start again?!

FYI XMP's still showing in the folder on laptop...

Thanks in advance

Kev

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should have done it automatically but try to select the photo and do "Read Metadata from File"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so you removed the image files from the LrC Catalog and the edit data was immediately removed from the Catalog and quite likely from the xmp files since automatically write to xmp is active.
Just my thought, however I do not write info to xmp in my workflow.

P.S. I did a test and the edits should have been applied at reimporting.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know - sorted.

It indeed appear that my xmps were wiped clean when i accidentally removed pis from cat - i added one as a custom preset but it didnt apply anything to the image...

SO, easy solution - i just opened up my previous backup cat and hey presto all is well. Lucky i backup every time i exit..

Many thanks though fro prompting me in right direction!

Kev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Restoring from a recent Catalog is always the better option since all the info is not written to the files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines