• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When Transferring Images to Hard Drive, They're Not Automatically Allocated to Folders by Date

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I've edited photos on my Macbook, I usually want to transfer them to an external hard drive.  In the past, I dragged the selected images to the header of the other drive within LR Classic's Library function (see attachment with header labeled "G-Drive USB").  There they would automatically be distributed to folders by date (e.g. 2021-12-04).  But in a couple of recent cases, they end up just sitting in the header.  Perhaps that's because there was no pre-existing folder for that date.  At this point, how do I create and send images to a folder with the correct date?  If it's done in Finder, how is that recognized by Lightroom?

Thanks....

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I follow you.

When you Import photos, Lightroom Classic has the feature to put the photos into dated folders (capture date is used). When you move the photos in the Library Module by dragging them into some other folder, there is no such feature to put these photos into dated folders, other than manually.

Side issue: why don't you just import the photos to the G-drive instead of importing them to some other drive? Not only will that create dated folders (if you have that option turned on) on the G-drive, but it saves you a step later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving the photos in Lightroom from a dated folder on my hard drive to the G-Drive header, by dragging the selected photos.  I can't drag to a specific dated folder on the G-Drive, because no dated folder yet exists for that date.

When I did this in the past, the photos would automatically be assigned to a new dated folder in the G-Drive.  But, now they stay in the G-Drive header (note, on the attachment above, that there are currently 526 photos there).

So my question is, how do I get Lightroom to assign them to new dated folders, as in the past?

Thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag the folder(s) to the G drive, rather than drag the photo(s) to the G drive.

Advice: don't put photos on your computer's internal drive and then later put them on the G drive. This is unnecessary. Import the photos to the G drive and into dated folders on the G drive straight out of the camera. Save yourself the extra step, and prevent possible mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, good advice....but now that 526 photos from two calendar dates are in the G Drive header instead of in dated folders there, how to get them into dated folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, good advice....but now that 526 photos from two calendar dates are in the G Drive header instead of in dated folders there, how to get them into dated folders?

By @Explore

Manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines