• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will Tethering be available for the Canon EOS R5?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - when will the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 be added to the list of Tethered camera support for Lightroom Classic??

Do you have a timeframe for when these cameras will be added?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

From this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum:

"Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Tethering support for the Canon EOS R5 and R6 is now availavle via Lightroom Classic 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got my Canon R5 and I rely on tethered shooting for my day to day business as a photographer. I am very surprised it's not available in LR Classic yet. I hope it will be there soon, because I don't want to switch to C1 (yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try the EOS utility.  You can also tryC1 as they offer free 30 day trial without credit card.  Beware though as you will like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your respons. I don't want to switch to C1 yet, but maybe I'll give the 30 day trial a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello James

I have the same issue with my R6. However, I also have problems connecting my camera to EOS Utillity that I have always used with my Canon 6D. The EOS Utillity software simply doesn't recognise my R6 camera. 

Do you know how I can solve this?
Thanks a lot in advance 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not experienced with the EOS utility and can’t really advise you. I
had no problem with the program as it recognized my R5. I can only suggest
the usual and that is restart the program, turn camera on and off, and even
restart computer.

I use canon printers and have found their telephone support
extremely helpful. If you can’t resolve the issue give them a call.
--

Jamesdiedrich.com
https://jamesdiedrich.smugmug.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you download and install the latest version of EOS Utility? I had the same problem with my R5, but after the download it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I downloaded the latest update to EOS Utility and it works 🙌🏼
Thank you for your kind help!

What I don't understand is that I was told that my (quite old) version of the classic Lightroom (where you purshased and downloaded the software) - the LR5 - wouldn't be able to work with my new Canon R5. 
And now it does... 

Do any of you know why this is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why that is, but just enjoy it 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with my R6.
I have LR5 classic. Will this be solved if I upgrade to creative cloud? 

I also have problems connecting my camera to EOS Utillity that I have always used with my Canon 6D. The EOS Utillity software simply doesn't recognise my R6 camera. 

Do you know how I can solve this?
Thanks a lot in advance 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Capture One to tether now. Here is a fantastic video from John Gress that explains; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlcO-Pb64E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw his video and I'm currently working the same way. With this work around EOS Utility has be open as well for me to work. I'm on the trial version of C1 hoping that the LR-update will be here within a month. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this idea, I watched the video and did the same in LRC by using Auto Import and once I shoot an image it goes to the set folder in the Auto Import Setting then it showing up in LRC. Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 4th... going on multiple releases and almost a year since camera release and still no tethering.

So disappointed. 

I tried C1 and honestly wasnt a huge fan.  Maybe I should give it more time.  

I am surely not the only one whose business is starting to pick up in the hopeful tail end of the pandemic, and tethering for product, content and portraits while with clients is part of my standard offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the switch to c1 when I got my r5 and figured out I couldn't tether in lightroom with it. C1 has been really great. I wont be going back to lightroom. (also c1 is industry standard on set) 

Give it more time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang in there with C1.  I have been using it for about 2 months including the first 30 days that are free.  I actually prefer it to Lightroom and believe the color is better.  Great training on the C1 website 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a second go, thanks guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering support for the Canon EOS R5 and R6 is now availavle via Lightroom Classic 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see that listed on their website, still their old doc from october 2020.

Where did you get your info from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's great that tethered shooting is now available.  If only the camera profiles were available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing this. Just to be sure I understand it right - is it now possible to shoot with live view directly from LR Classic with the 10.2 update - or do the image just import to LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't see that listed on their website, still their old doc from october 2020."

See here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines